Module -1: Getting to Know You – Julian Pamplin

Hello, I’m Julian. I’m a non-traditional student (read: old) originally from Pittsburgh, currently living in Plum. As I transition to a new career pursuit that will eventually take me to law school, I am finishing my undergraduate degree in Political Science. I chose this course, not only because it satisfies a required field of study for my degree, but because I feel geography is an important topic to understand for a variety of reasons. As we’ve all learned through the introduction of the course, geography, and related subjects, informs us on the impact of where we live and our intrinsic relationship with the world. I am hoping to receive an education that is well-rounded to include a deeper understanding of connections among commerce, energy conservation, and the politics surrounding both. As a former United States Marine, I’ve had the fortune to travel and see features of geographical diversity and I am eager to learn more about where we are, where we’re headed, and what we can do to preserve nature.

One area already mentioned in the course reading that is of particular interest to me involves sustainability and our overall interaction with the environment. While the political rancor in Washington and in state capitals around the country often oversimplifies the contours of environmental debate to motivate different groups of voters, I assume the actual facts are more complicated than politicians are courageous enough to champion. I intend to use this course and others to gain a more comprehensive grasp on the subject. I am hoping this class and subsequent courses will give me a depth of knowledge necessary to challenge those who would distort data to serve an agenda or minimize the actions that can be taken to solve impending trouble for the environment. Admittedly, I come to this topic from the left but I am open to objectively reviewing the information and adjusting my position to fit the science, rather than ‘cherry pick’ from the data to fit within a certain ideological predisposition. I’m excited to meet classmates who may have different opinions and I welcome the challenge I am sure they will provide.

3 thoughts on “Module -1: Getting to Know You – Julian Pamplin

1. Hello Julian this is Lucas Skiba. I was intrigued when you started talking about sustainability and where it might go in the years to come. It is interesting to hear political debates of our environmental issues. Its important to think about once all these elections and debates are over will our president actually take into affect the importance and seriousness of some these problems the U.S. is facing. Such as droughts in California, too contaminated water supply from fracking, and so on but will they actually jump on these topics once in office. Or will they let them go until its very serious or irreversible.

2. Hi Julian! My name is Maura McGonigal. Here is the link to my blog- http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/19/getting-to-know-you-11/. We have a lot in common! I am also a non-traditional student and am also from Pittsburgh. I am specifically from the South Hills of Pittsburgh. I am applying to graduate school in hopes of becoming a pharmacist. I recently went to a graduate school interview in Arizona and was fortunate enough to see the Grand Canyon which was a wonderful opportunity to experience different geography! I look forward to reading more of your perspectives!