Getting to know Ranee Perricone

Hello from Honesdale PA! I am a senior in mechanical engineering working on a minor in energy, business, and finance. I grew up in Honesdale Pa and only left for school and am back now that I am only taking online classes. Rent is cheap at home. While I am home I like to participate in sports. Everything from watching, playing, coaching and officiating. I am pursuing the mechanical engineering, with no idea what I want to do with it. I have things I am leaning toward but will probably end up working for a larger manufacturing company to start. Someday I would love to work in consulting. This course is a requirement for another class I am hoping to take but I am looking forward to learning more about geography and sustainability.

An issue is that interesting to me is the impact of developing nations on the environment because they do not have the same restrictions as the more developed nations have adapted. Inducing these countries into programs such as Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) would not only help the environment of those countries but also the environment of the whole planet. There should be greater efforts to educate those in developing countries of their impacts, large and small. Individuals could help start recycling programs and conserving resources to make a difference even if the country as a whole did not partake in the efforts.

3 thoughts on “Getting to know Ranee Perricone

1. Hi, I’m Yeeren Low. I’m a senior majoring in physics and mathematics. That’s an interesting issue — however, I would think that developed countries would have a higher environmental impact per capita. And at the OECD website it appears that many developing countries do belong to it.

I talked about human-environment interactions and sustainability in my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/module-1-getting-to-know-you-yeeren-low/

2. Hello Ranee. I completely agree with your statement that there should be greater efforts to educate and help develop rising countries. A big issue is also that fossil fuels is much cheaper than other renewable sources, and given the resistance to change we face in our developed country, it makes the problem even more concerning. Since we share this Earth, we have a responsibility to take care of it ourselves, and teach others to do the same. Recycling helps, but education is a much bigger weapon to fight these problems.
    My post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-gilberto-aponte/

3. The impact of developing nations on the environment is interesting because they are trying to become like the U.S. but we don’t want them to take the same steps as we did. We want them to think more sustainable then what we did. More sustainable usually means more money and developing countries don’t normally have a lot of money. So introducing them to different programs that would help develop their country as well as help make a positive impact on the environment is a win-win situation. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-15/