Module I: Getting to Know Me

Hi, guys! My name is Tawnya and I am a Sophomore at Penn State University Park, studying Wildlife Science. I am originally from a small town outside of Williamsport, Pa and I currently live in State College, Pa. When I am not attending classes, you can typically find me volunteering at Native Path Wildlife Rehabilitation Center, taking my pups for an adventure, working at a local brewery, or tie dying for extra money. I love being outdoors, whether it be fishing, hiking, kayaking, or camping. I am also very passionate about music. I chose Wildlife Science as my major because I have always loved helping animals. There is nothing more rewarding to me than helping an injured animal, rehabilitating it and setting it free, back into the wild. I hope to eventually get a career studying wildlife and helping conserve different species. I am actually taking this course as an elective because I am very interested in sustainability and preserving natural resources.

An issue I am concerned about is the preservation of species. I believe many people are oblivious to the huge impact humanity has on the natural environment. Since humankind is negatively impacting the environment, the environment is beginning to have a negative effect on the millions of innocent species that exist on this earth. 200 to 2000 species go extinct every year, causing an alteration in biodiversity. Without the existence of numerous species, we as man, simply could not exist. I believe more people should be informed about natural and social sciences and the ethical approach that needs to be made to conserve and sustain life. Without contributing to sustainability, all life on earth with eventually go extinct. I believe if we begin to act now, there will still be hope for future generations.

4 thoughts on “Module I: Getting to Know Me

1. Hi Tawnya, my name is Johnna and I’m a junior at Penn State. I also have a strong interest in preserving species. Millions of people worldwide depend on the oceans for a source of food and other activities. In many regions over fishing is a huge problem causing a decrease in a number of species of fish. Species diversity is key to a functioning ecosystem. If we loose one species it effects a whole chain of events. I also enjoy being outdoors. I actually interned for a State Park in PA and it was the greatest experience. I admire your interest in this field.

• Thanks Johnna! I agree 100%! What is your major? I’m glad you love the outdoors as well! Not many people our age find the beauty in the little things. Thanks for commenting!

2. Hello, Tawnya! My name is Adam Abbott and I am a senior majoring in IST. I have two roommates who are majoring in Wildlife and Fishery Sciences so I know a lot about your field through them. I have a strong interest in conserving the environment so that many wildlife specie populations can remain healthy. I am glad that you are going on to work in this field because it is a crucial, yet misunderstood field. Also, I come from an hour north of Williamsport so it is nice to see someone from the area is also taking this class!

Take a look at my blog post if you wish: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/18/module-1-getting-to-know-you/

• Thanks for commenting Adam! I’m glad you are passionate about conserving the environment. I wish there were more people out there like you! Where are you from? If you’re coming from North of Williamsport, I am assuming you’re from a small town, too! haha well it is very nice to meet you and I wish you the best of luck this semester.