Module 1: Getting to know you

Hello everyone, my name is Steven Feng and I am a senior at Penn State Worthington Scranton.  I am majoring in the IST program, going down the design and development route, and will be graduating after this semester.  I grew up in Scranton, and am currently residing in Dickson City.  The career I am planning on pursuing is one that deals with developing technology.  Currently, I work with databases a lot and is, in my opinion, a pretty good choice.  I am taking this class because of one of the requirements for me to graduate, as well as the effect humans have on the geography of Earth.

One of the issues that interest me is climate change and how it’s really impacting the Earth.  Module 1 covered things such as human’s impact at towards climate change.  It also covers how the scale of climate change is both on a global and local scale.  This sparked my interest because, if we recall, Christmas this year was obnoxiously warm.  In my opinion, this issue should be more widely known and it is really affecting the world.

2 thoughts on “Module 1: Getting to know you

1. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/20/getting-to-kno…shelby-epstein/
    Hi, my name is Shelby Epstein! I am from Bucks County PA, which is kind of close to Scranton! Your post caught my attention, especially the Christmas part! That was a great example of the “scale” topic because it really shows how climate change is affecting us globally. While you think climate change is affecting humans, which I agree, it is also affecting many animals too. Polar bears are a specific animal I can think of because their homes are being melted away! If we humans don’t fix this issue, our future is not going to look good.

2. Hi Steven,

My name is Humna and I am a senior at PSU. I look forward to learning more about what you think throughout this course!
    Here’s a link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aW3

I am not surprised that you chose climate change as an important issue because it has definitely been relevant, especially recently. As you mentioned, the cold only started now. I remember freezing weather starting in October a few years ago. It’s sad that some people actually debate whether climate change is an issue. This may come out sounding funny, but during winter break, I kept saying how I would love for it to stay warm, but I don’t want the polar bears to go extinct. It seems ridiculous, but it shows that as climate change becomes more visible, people are becoming more aware and interested.