Module 2: Biogas in India

Biogas_yjr5005

The core idea behind my diagram is to show the connections between each element in the social and ecosystem. I want to combine the two systems into one complete feedback. In the video, social system and ecosystem are closely connected. That’s why traditional cooking method (using field wood), can affect women’s and children’s daily life intensely. After new technology, Biogas plant, comes up, the waste of cooking is different, and people’s life changes as well. This case best explains how the Human-Environment system operates. In the diagram, women &children, tank, and cooking are the three components in the social system. Wood, smoke, biogas plants, organic compound, and compost are the key elements in the ecosystem. Other things like school & entertainment are the relative elements for the case.

Compared my work with the example diagram, the components in social system and ecosystem are different. The example diagram illustrates 8 components in the social and ecosystem. It combines small elements mentioned in the video into one group. For example, biogas generator includes all its outputs, like methane gas, organic compound, and compost. It shows these outputs in the interactions (above the arrow lines). For me, I just separately count them as three different components in the ecosystem. However, the way I draw the diagram and the ideas about how the social and ecosystem interacts with each other are the same. The two diagrams are different due to the different opinions for the video, and abilities to summarize the elements. From these differences, I know how other people think of the social and ecosystem interactions. Besides that, I learn that I need to summarize and separate components in a complete system and feedback loop.

One thought on “Module 2: Biogas in India

1. Hello! My name is Madison, and I really liked the way you drew your diagram so I decided to read more about it. I liked how you split up your diagram into social systems and ecosystems which made it easier to follow. Your diagram was similar to Figure 1.5 which made it really relatable, and I think it really exemplified the human-environment interactions. When you said that you learned you needed to summarize/separate components into a feedback loop, I could relate to that because my diagram might be confusing if one doesn’t understand the connections! I think you did a great job with your diagram and if you are interested in checking out my blog here is the link: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/26/module-2-human…onment-systems/ ! Have a great day!