Module 2 – Ranee Perricone – System Diagram

The diagram shows the results of the two different cooking options with regard to the three main points the video made along with two points I felt should be included. The video said the cooking gas system was beneficial because it does not produce smoke in unventilated areas, it leads to an income for the women who use it, and it reduces child labor. I strongly disagree with the latter. I do not think that the children would not have to help gather the manure for the system or help process the leftover manure for selling. I also think that the lack of families gathering the fallen wood would cover the ground with dried wood which is known to lead to forest fires. On the other hand, manure production is greater than tree growth which means greater sustainability

The child labor that would lead to income would be much preferable to labor that would not. The increase in income would allow for better education whether it be giving the family an opportunity to spend money on something that is normally time consuming or simply allow a child to stay in school longer rather than have to leave to get a job. The increased income and increased education is a positive feedback loop.

My diagram points out how things work together. The diagram I created uses less variables. There is less interactions between individual parts of the two divisions of the diagram. My diagram is extremely focused when compared to the figure provided in the reading. The figure in the reading is focused on the interactions of the ecosystem as a whole as opposed to the specific diagram about how the introduction of this system can affect the environment in this area.

diagram mod 2

2 thoughts on “Module 2 – Ranee Perricone – System Diagram

1. Hi Ranee!
    I thought your diagram was very similar to mine, but I also felt as if you added more ideas than most thought of. I enjoyed the different colors that you used and it really helped to organize your ideas. The things you added that I thought were not mentioned were “removes piles of manure” and “increases education”. This is the link to mine if you are interested in checking it out: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/26/module-2-biogas-in-india-4/

2. Hey Ranee, my name is Katelyn! I thought it was very interesting how you set up your system diagram. I would have not thought to set it up like this, but it makes sense! I also like how it is color coded to the subject you are talking about. Your outlook on the video and the reading is different from everyone else’s I have read but I like how you chose to disagree and then argue why you feel that way and I can agree with you in some ways. The link to my blog is http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/27/42835/