Diseases Not Linked With Developed/NonDeveloped

1. http://allafrica.com/stories/201602031412.html
    1. The first case study from one of the sources given deals with the Zika Virus.  This study is by Sola Ogundipe, and talks about how the once eradicated virus in the US, Zika, is now coming back as a problem, but is affecting many other countries such as Nigeria (where this study is focused).  It is expected that about 4 million people would be affected by this virus by the end of the year.  The World Health Organization is treating this virus very seriously, and advising pregnant woman not to travel.  In terms of development, the WHO is not sure what to do because even in developed or high income countries like the US, the virus is still persistent.  The WHO wants to use the advanced technology and science of the developed United States, to help find a vaccine, or treatment for this virus so that babies are not born with microcephaly, a brain defect.
  2. http://www.cgdev.org/doc/millions/MS_case_1.pdf
    1. The next study that I found was from a different source, and it discussed the concept of eradicating smallpox worldwide, and was written mainly from the World Health Organization.  In the 60’s smallpox was considered a very big deal, and eventually it became eradicated.  It was prevalent in some of the low income countries, and the World Health Organization used the idea of development to eradicate the disease.  The US is a high income country, so the WHO wanted to use the resources of the US to help create a vaccine, or treatment for smallpox.  Along with this came an ethical question if the successes of a developed country should help an underdeveloped country.  The end use of this development idea was to eradicate smallpox, and through the idea of development this occurred!
  3. Throughout both of these case studies, it was proven how the varying levels of development impact society, and how one can affect another.  These case studies are similar because they both deal with diseases/viruses affecting a large population, and how higher income countries such as the US were used to fix the problems in the lower income countries.  I currently reside in New Jersey, and these case studies relate to the development of my area.  Since the Zika Virus is a current problem, development plays a large role.  The development in the US is very great in the sense that there is an established civilization, tons of resources, and an advancement in technology.  Through all of these things in the US, and considering the time we are currently residing in where Zika is a problem, these resources, and the development of our country can help this problem in non-developed country.  For example, the developed US can use science, and money to research more and hopefully develop a vaccine.  Through both of these case studies, and the current ongoing problems, development plays a huge role in making sure the end uses are important and relevant to the problems.

2 thoughts on “Diseases Not Linked With Developed/NonDeveloped

1. Hi Madison,

I enjoyed reading your post. I am Laurene, my case studies are different as they focus on agricultural development, but they also address social equity. They can be accessed here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/sustainable-development-and-pesticide-management-in-case-studies/.

I think your case is very relevant to the U.S. In the case of Zika, I recently learned that pregnant women are unable to protect their baby if they have not been exposed to Zika before pregnancy. The congenital side effects can be devastating, so I am glad to see your case states that they are working on a vaccine. From your post, you made it clear that the U.S. wants to assist or even lead the way in creating vaccinations and treatments for viruses. As a developed country I believe the intention is feasible.

2. Here is a link to my post if you are interested. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/25/module-5-katie-kurtz/

Hi my name is Katie, and I’m a sophomore here at Penn State. I thought the case studies you wrote about were very interesting especially the one about the Zika virus. I strongly agree with your point that a developed country like the United States should invest the money in trying discover a vaccine that could then be used all around the world including developing countries.