Food Choice and Social Norms

As an athlete and especially as a wrestler I am faced with many challenges with my eating habits. Especially since my sport requires extreme discipline in my diet it sometimes clashes harshly with societal norms.  I particularly see this when I attend late night festivities with friends especially in a college town like State College. Believe it or not their are not many bars that serve fresh salads at 1am. So the other week I chose to indulge in a few slices of canyon pizza on our way from one bar to the other as it did not seem quite socially acceptable to run back home to grab a fresh snack while bar hopping with my friends. This is just one of many instances where social norms have forced me into making a decision on my food consumption I was not particularly fond of. After cutting weight though that pizza did taste pretty good though.

So some of the societal issues I could derive from my first paragraph is first of all accessibility.  As I said the access we as citizens of this country have to fast/junk food is second to none, it’s everywhere and at all times. The second is price it is just so hard to eat healthy when you can for slices of pizza for the same price as a “cheap salad” a good salad would actually cost you much more. Both of these are huge issues we face as a society and they ultimately affect our health, our wallets, and how we manage our time. The thing is is that we have created this problem. We as consumers have made these cheap unhealthy choices our main choice and so that is what companies invest in. If we pushed for the healthy options they would have to develop ways to produce them cheaper or else their businesses would suffer as nobody feels good about buying 5$ worth of lettuce and some veggies.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-bXnN6E38VcJiBlVZq6aPznTLm2WlWWI8rgQ_en2b4A/edit

One thought on “Food Choice and Social Norms

1. Hi, my name is Ben Ceci and I found your article to be extremely interesting. Like you, I have been a wrestler all my life and know that nutrition is a big part of the sport. You brought up a great point about the late night downtown scene and I can relate. In my post, I talked about my short experience with being a vegan and how my Italian family influenced that. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/ben-ceci-social-norms/