Food choices, social norms, societal isues

1. My food choice has largely been influenced by that of my family. This might be considered the “social norm” I have been affected by. The connection between this “social norm” and my food choices is very simple. It is that I eat foods similar to what my family eats. Probably due to my circumstances I have not really felt pressured towards eating other foods. I would say my family eats rather healthy. One reason for this is that we don’t really care much about the taste of foods. So, we are fine eating many foods rather plain and aren’t inclined to add much stuff to make it “tastier” like spices or salt. To us that is a waste of time. We do eat animal products, mainly chicken and their eggs, but sometimes other meat such as beef, fish, turkey, or shrimp.
  2. These food choices connect to the issue of obesity. Adding stuff like sugar to make foods “tastier” contributes to higher calorie content. Less of this may be a good social norm. People would be more used to the taste of food with less stuff added to it.
  3. The arrows mean “contributes to.food_yil5488

One thought on “Food choices, social norms, societal isues

1. Hi Yeeren. My name is Cody and here is my post [http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/cody-rhodes-where-is-it-coming-from/] I found your point about eating what your family eats very relatable. I also am highly influenced by the food choices of those closest to me. Such a shame that my family chooses to eat poorly at times, haha.