social norms on food choice

When I was a kid, my mom didn’t allow me to ear instant noodles and other fast foods like McDonalds, because she thinks that’s unhealthy. As a result, most of the food I had when I was a kid were homemade and considered healthy. But when I started college here in U.S., I encountered many unhealthy food I rarely had before. As a student, I don’t have many other choices in food so those fast food places are my main go-to places for food between class. I think it’s a popular choice among students because it’s fast and cheap, but it’s certainly not as healthy as homemade food because it’s mainly meat, and based on the healthy eating pyramid we should consume least of these animal-based food. So during the weekend, I usually cook some nutritious meals that contains both meat and vegetables, and most of my food were provided locally, so it’s sustainable too.

As we all know, fast food is one of the causes of obesity. In my experience, people in U.S. consume a lot more fast food than people from other country, and obesity is one of the leading health issues here. There are many reasons why people like fast food so much, they are cheap, delicious and easy to get. Many people are busy with work and study, so they would like food that can be prepared quickly and also feed them, and fast food stores seems like the right ones to go. The unbalanced nutrition triangle contributes to obesity problems, and obtaining food sources from other places is less sustainable. In order to deal with obesity problem from the aspect of food source, I think we should advocate about eating green food, especially on commercials. As we can see commercials everyday, I think if there’s more commercials about healthy diets, more people would turn to healthy food.

Food choice diagram-swc5701

2 thoughts on “social norms on food choice

1. Hi Siying!
    My name is Jacqueline and here’s a link to my blog!
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bJQ

Our blog posts were similar in the way that we both talked about how our parents did not want us to eat unhealthy food when we were younger, my parents had me stay away from sodas and other sugary drinks. You made a really great point about how its too easy to go and get fast food when you are on the go and really busy. I think it’s great that you make sure that you can cook healthy, nutritious meals for yourself during the week. That’s one thing that I noticed when I first came to school here, the many unhealthy options that are so easy to get!
    Great blog post!