Zoe Schulte- Week 7 blog post

I live in Erie,Pa. It has a population of 100,671 people and is the home of one of the great lakes (Lake Erie). Erie is great because anyone that loves a city feel or is more of a suburban type of person can find a home here. There are many town-homes,condos, and apartments located in the downtown area of Erie. These neighborhoods are more in the heart of all the action,sporting events, or work places. Although you can find many things to do downtown, there are also great factors to living in the more suburban part of Erie, too. There are several neighborhoods that are close to schools and other work places that are not located in the downtown area. Also, neighborhoods on the Lake are a huge benefit living in the Erie area. Overall, Erie is a mix of every suburban and urban place out there.
The first city form the module I will be discussing is New York City. I have been to this city numerous times, and although it is no where in comparison to my hometown, Erie, there are many things that are similar. Although Erie doesn’t have too many high sky rises, it is still a city where the downtown area is filled with people in the work force, as is New York. Anytime you enter New York City you see people who have traveled from the outskirts such as Connecticut or New Jersey that take the commute just to work there.Erie is a working city especially in the downtown area, but New York has a better way of making their city more sustainable. The subways, trains, and ferry’s make it easier for those commuting workers to make their way to their destination. If Erie incorporated better jobs with better means of transportation it would make living in the downtown area overall easier.
Like the Boston Harbor, Erie makes a great income and has great cultural sustainability from living near the water. This allows Erie to develop and have more advantages over other cities that wouldn’t necessarily have a body of water near them. Although Erie has not become a major city such as Boston, the lake does allow for more environmental aspects to grow and flourish. One thing that could make Erie more sustainable like Boston, is opening up more ports to allow for more fishing which will make that industry grow. I think we are very fortunate to have a lake near us, but the only time you hear about the fishing companies are in very few restaurants. We should learn from Boston and grow the amount of imports we can get from outside sources.

One thought on “Zoe Schulte- Week 7 blog post

1. Hello Zoe, I’m Garrett and I currently live here in State College. Here is a link to my blog and please feel free to check that out.
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/?p=46457&preview=true
    I really enjoyed your post because I also have family that is from the Erie area, although I have never been there myself. I totally agree with you that Erie could flourish more if they showed more interest in growing their markets that are related to the great lake located so close. This could open up other opportunities for other businesses as well. I also agree with you that making transportation more readily available can increase the work force and increase the quality of the jobs available. Overall great blog post! And again feel free to check out my blog post.