Module 7 – Sustainable Cities

The town that I am from is called Northern Cambria, Pennsylvania. It can best be described as a suburb automobile mixed with a pedestrian-oriented neighborhood. There town is fairly small with a population approximately three thousand people. Many of the inhabitants get transported via bikes and their own personal cars. I grew up in this town and I had spent the majority of my childhood seeing my friends by either walking or riding my bicycle. I believe that having this dynamic makes my town very versatile in energy saving ways being that parents do not have to haul their children around from place to place and the children are able to stay healthy as I see this still continuing today.

The first city I will discuss from this module is Detroit. From watching the video in this module, I was reminded of my hometown discussed in the above paragraph. A few minutes outside of my town is a very rural living space where plenty of farms can be found. I believe that the urban farming that is taking place in Detroit is similar to my town, except in the scale. I personally know family and friends who do not live on farms taking the initiative to farm their own potatoes, tomatoes, and other fruits and vegetables in their backyard. It is easy to overlook some of these contributions from other people living sustainable on their own land whenever I am surrounded by farmland and Detroit helped to remind me of that.

The next city I will be discussing is Rochester, NY. My town of Northern Cambria is similar in the automobile aspects that was shown very early on in this module. Even though my town could be considered a pedestrian neighborhood from having a sidewalk on almost every street, automobiles are still the main sources of transportation. There are many people including my family that have to commute to and from work everyday from nearby towns and cities. There are many ways that the residents of my town can make commuting to and from work more sustainable. One of the ways is to take advantage of the bus that runs into town and to nearby towns. This will decrease the amount of cars on the road. Another way is to begin carpooling. The final way is for the residents that work in the town or nearby by utilizing bikes where there would only be a few minutes extra time added to their commute as well as extra exercise.