Yeeren Low – Vulnerability Reduction

1. My hometown (East Stroudsburg, PA) doesn’t really have a risk of earthquakes or tropical cyclones. It has a risk of hailstorms, extratropical storms, and tornadoes. This seemed to be an okay summary of natural hazards in my area. There might be local considerations that are important. For example, as noted in the document, fire-prevention measures were not considered in estimating the wildfire risk. The risks were shown on a very large spatial scale but as these hazards are climate-related, they vary slowly in space compared to a single town. Still, I think the maps were too coarse. No state borders were drawn and the low resolution made it difficult to read.
  2. I chose a wildfire burning near Ruidoso in southeastern New Mexico, USA. It has burned ~ 175 acres. It is possible that my hometown could suffer a wildfire. Natural causes include lightning while human causes (intentional or accidental burning) are also possible. One factor influencing the risk of such a disaster is landscape, including climate. Another possible factor is intentional burning practices. As both places are in a developed country, I don’t expect major contributions from ability to mobilize resources or competency in intentional burning. The area of East Stroudsburg is 2.5 square miles, or 1600 acres. That is only about 10 times 175 acres. The financial impact would depend on the density of development. As East Stroudsburg is far more densely populated that Ruidoso, I would guess that the financial impact would be much greater in East Stroudsburg. A fire might disproportionately impact carless people, as they might not be able to evacuate as quickly. Our city could make itself less vulnerable to such a disaster by cars stopping for ambulances.

2 thoughts on “Yeeren Low – Vulnerability Reduction

1. Hey Yeeren, my name is J.R. Here’s my blog if you want to check it out. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/30/module-8-vulnerability-reduction/

I like how you picked a wildfire for this blog. They really are a crazy natural disaster, and I am always interested in how they happen and progress. I have family that lives in California, so I have seen how the wildfires really affect people. Great blog, but maybe add more info on how someone could handle this natural disaster. Or how family’s could prepare for them. Are there any steps that the government could take to help prevent them?
    Great Job!

2. Hey Yeeren, my name is Landon and I’m a junior at Penn State. I find it very interesting that you picked the wildfire in New Mexico because that was the same natural hazard that I picked. I agree with you that there are certain factors that influence wildfires and one being the landscape and climate. Climate is huge because if the area is a lot dryer, than wildfires are more likely to happen. A wildfire would make people vulnerable and one way to help reduce that is to be prepared and have emergency relief ready if that natural hazard would occur. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/30/natural-hazards-landon-brenize/