Climate Change – Jessica Moritz

Moritz Jessica MO 9 (2)

First, my diagram begins with the fact that we are overusing fossil fuel, which lead to a climate change that was not good for our environment.  Since the climate change affects the world as a whole, countries met at the Copenhagen climate change summit to try and solve this problem.  Throughout the meeting, the Copenhagen Accord was formed.  By this, it was stated that each country had to take responsibility for the overuse of fossil fuels and try implementing steps to help the environment and the climate change problem.  However, there was a split about who supported this and who did not.  In my diagram, I split the United States and United Nations into two separate boxes because the United States supported the Copenhagen Accord whereas the United Nations did not.  Since the United Nations did not support this, the United States tried to take matters into their own hands in an unethical way.  The sent treats, had secret cables between countries, and ended up financially bribing countries because they claimed they did not have the money for this type of project.  With all of these combined and a lot of push from the United States, 140 countries ended up signing on and supporting the Copenhagen Accord, which was the last part of my diagram.  The main idea behind my concept map was to keep the ideas simple but to show the reader the cause of the Copenhagen Accord and how the United States finally got a lot of countries to agree with it.

Honestly, I think what the State Department did was very unethical.  Just because certain countries do not want to sign on to an idea that one fully supports does not mean one should threaten and bribe them to get their way.  However, the climate change is a big problem for the world as a whole.  If we continue our detrimental ways, we are going to disrupt planetary boundaries and change out environment for the worst.  Since human life started when the Earth was stable, changing the stability is going to change the way people develop too.  Even though I think what the United State did was wrong, I think their overall goal of having a sustainable Earth is a goal that the whole world should have.  I believe that they could have done this in another way besides brides and threats, however, the outcome was good because now countries are being more Earth-friendly.  Instead of releasing the cables to the public, I feel that the United States should have come out and told us citizens their plans so that people do not feel betrayed by their government.  Since there is a positive outcome though, I do not think people should still be bitter about the whole thing.  Now, people all over the world are more educated on ways to help the environment, like taking public transportation, implementing carbon offsetting, and buying more organic plant-based foods.  Since the world agrees we need to change some of our habits to help save the environment, I think it is important that we all continue to be educated about fossil fuels and how to help with the climate change.

3 thoughts on “Climate Change – Jessica Moritz

1. Hey Jessica,
    My name is Kristin. Your diagram is very easy to follow and I think you picked good points to add to it! I had the same first three components you have in your diagram in my diagram as well. I too in my post wrote that I thought what the U.S. did was unethical and it would have been way more beneficial if they handled it differently! Obviously climate change is a big problem and everyone needs to work together to make a difference, not just ones that signed. I find it interesting how there was a positive outcome because we do see a lot more environmental friendly changes in different countries throughout the world today. Good post!
    If you would like to check out my post here is the link https://wp.me/p3RCAy-dYz

2. Hello, I agree with what you said about what the US doing was wrong but had a good outcome. I hope that the next time an issue like this occurs that the US will be more ethical but there has to be compromise between everybody. Global warming and climate change will not be fixed or helped any if countries can’t agree to fix it. Countries are aware of what’s going on and if they want a future for their kids and generations down they need to help fix the problem.

Here is a link to my blog: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/08/module-9-7/

3. Hello Jess!

I see we have a couple points in common so I thought I’d drop a comment. If you want to check mine out feel free: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/04/08/module-9-oh-no-i-leaked-bernstein/

I like how you added the various tactics that the US used to get the other countries to sign. I too think that the citizens should have known about what their country was doing. You also mentioned about the US doing the wrong thing, but the outcome was good – I definitely agree with you on this. I just wonder if the motivation (as wrong as it seems) will be enough to help keep this up. I do think however, that knowing what we do now about the climate and our effect on it, that motivation and end-goals have changed for the better.