Module 9: Climate Change

1. Wikileaks-diagram-kxk5347 copy
  2. In my diagram I drew out the main events of the article describing how WikiLeaks demonstrated to the world who is responsible for greenhouse gases. The beginning of my diagram started with the need for energy production because that is how the greenhouse gas was produced. As we learned in this module the excess greenhouse gases in the atmosphere can cause serious issues. Due to this creation of greenhouse gases, there was an increase in climate change. This increase made other powers look at the US for a solution. With such a large increase in climate change the US decided to create the Copenhagen Accord. The Copenhagen Accord was created to mitigate climate change or simply reduce it and its negative affects. Countries outside the US were not big fans of this plan, but they needed the backup of other countries. The US would be unable to get the agreement to pass without other countries’ backing. Unfortunately, the US used extreme measures such as bribery, spying and threats in order to receive outside support. WikiLeaks then leaked all the strategies the US has been using and the public was very dissatisfied. In the end 116 signed the Copenhagen Accord, so in turn it was actually successful. Though the methods were looked down upon, the accord did show the 75% of the countries who signed were responsible for 80% of all greenhouse gases. Even with this success targeted to mitigate climate change, a large amount of political mistrust has been created.

1. I feel the actions taken towards to get the Copenhagen Accord to pass were extremely inappropriate, but not out of the ordinary. There have been many cases on bribery, threats and scandal to pass things in the US. The fact that this plan was aimed towards climate change does not make me as upset by the actions taken. I do believe that it was important for the state department cables to be made public because people should always be aware of the happenings in their country. Though it is important for people to have this knowledge, their ability to act is very limited. The US will use their power to do what they can, even if it is behind the backs of their population. I feel that the US should use different methods when conducting climate change diplomacy because their current methods are created distrust among not only their own people, but other countries as well. Though the intentions of the US are for good, forcing and bribing others to agree is extremely unethical. I also do not like the fact that the US took more benefits than any of the other countries involved. In a way this is the US saying that they are above other countries, so in turn they deserve more of the benefits. Once again I believe that the strategies used by the US were unnecessary. In no way do I think that the end result justifies the US’s actions taken in order to reach it.

2 thoughts on “Module 9: Climate Change

1. Hello Karissa,

Here is a link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-ekq
    Our posts were mostly similar but you went into further detail in the beginning mentioning how the need for energy resulted in greenhouse gases. This I agree with, civilization is growing in a rapid rate and our need for energy grows a long side of that, if not faster. Although we mentioned that the actions the U.S. took were inappropriate, I do understand why it is not out of the ordinary. Although I don’t agree on accepting these actions as acceptable, I do see your point that since it was to make the world better it does have its pros.

2. Hi Karissa,

My name is Humna and here is a link to my response: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-emQ.

Most of our information was similar except that you told the story of the revealed information, while I wrote the story of what was revealed in the story, if that makes any sense.

I wanted to comment on your post though because first of all, I liked that you included data in your chart. Also, I like the beginning, need for energy, because it shows that global warming is difficult to solve because it is a “need” for countries, and it’s not necessarily easily substituted.