Module 10 Tim Granata

1. Draw a system diagram for one of the letters in H.I.P.P.O. and explain what you are trying to illustrate.
  2. Look up an invasive specie in your hometown area. What kind of impacts do they have? Include information on how they were introduced to the environment, and ways to control them/it.

For my systems diagram, I chose Habitat lose (H).  I applied it to the deforestation of a Rain forest.  When the forest is over harvested, three things occur.  Animals of course lose their habitats.  The majority of life in a rain forest lives in the canopy section of the trees.  The soil in a rain forest is actually rather poor, and so the forest struggles to make any kind of comeback.  Lastly, rain forest produce a large amount of the worlds oxygen supply.  If we continue to remove them, we are going to reduce the world oxygen supply, and increase the worlds carbon dioxide levels, which contributes to greenhouse gases.  When animals lose their habitats, they are either forced to move, or they die.  If they are a keystone specie (one that other animals rely on), then other animals in the environment will suffer.  These animals in turn will most likely die out.

One specie that is considered invasive in my hometown area is the Kudzu Vine.  When we hear the words “invasive species,” we typically think of animals.  However, plants can be just as invasive and damaging to the environment.  In the case of Kudzu, it can kill or damage other plants by completely covering them and potentially uprooting them.  Another issue with Kudzu is the rate that it spreads.  Once Kudzu is fully established, it can grow at an extremely fast rate – up to one foot a day (lightning fast for a plant!).  Kudzu was first brought to the U.S. at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition.  Rather unfortunately, farmers were misled into planting kudzu between 1935 and the 1950s in order to prevent soil erosion.  To remove Kudzu, one must completely destroy its root system, and constantly monitor it.  It may take several years to fully remove it, making it a lengthy process.

Source: http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/habitats/forests/explore/kudzu.xmltjg5287_HIPPOdiagram

One thought on “Module 10 Tim Granata

1. Hi, I’m Tyler. Your review of your diagram and the diagram itself is very informative. They really covered the habitat lose step-by-step. It was very interesting how you explained a plant as an invasive species. It’s hard to believe a plant can grow a foot a day! I used plants as an example in my diagram. If you care to read mine please click this link http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/04/15/module-10-5/