My First Perspective on Sustainability and Global Issues

Hi, Geog 30 Instructors & Classmates!

My name is Laurene (Loreen). I currently live in State College, but I grew up not to far from here in New Columbia, PA. I have lived in a small town in Pennsylvania my whole life. Although, I have had the opportunity to live and study in Peru. I am interested in geography and culture, which is why I enjoy traveling. I hope to explore more countries of Europe and South America soon.

I am graduating this spring with a B.S. in Psychology. I took the business path in psych because I plan to open my own business one day. Until then, my plans for after graduation include interning at a wildlife center and working my way up to a profession in wilderness therapy. In the future, I’d like to pursue a doctorate in naturopathic medicine or environmental psychology.

This course completes a requirement for both of my minors: geography and environment & society. I am interested in sustainability and how the globe utilizes their resources. My geographic perspective is biased towards environment and society but includes human and physical geography. I enjoy learning how humans incorporate sustainable practices into their lifestyles, and I am curious to see how humans will adapt or mitigate environmental changes from global warming in the near future.

Part II: Issues 

Module one addressed global issues. I think many of us do not consider the impacts our individual decisions as a consumer have on wildlife, biodiversity, and other humans globally. Sustainability works to not disrupt ecosystems while benefiting the individual concerning health, financially, etc. Decisions we make to oppose commodities that cause deforestation or pollution for other humans and animals are easily sustainable practices we can make. Individual decisions in consumerism lead to changes in environmental policy. So I ask, what sustainable practices do you incorporate into your lifestyle? I chose not to eat meat. Farm industries not only bring disease to the animal, but they affect the people who live nearest to the business. Ethically, I see a reason, plus I have seen an increase in my health!

5 thoughts on “My First Perspective on Sustainability and Global Issues

1. Hello Laurene, my name is Anthony and I also attend Main Campus. That is pretty awesome that you got to study abroad. I hope to travel abroad and visit other countries as well. I really like what you have to say about sustainability and human interaction. All of us make contributions to the destruction of the environment and never realize it. Humans need to develop a better understanding of sustainability to promote the wellness of this planet. If you are interested in seeing what I had to say on the subject, visit my blog here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/anthony-russo-learning-activity-getting-to-know-you/

• Hi Anthony,

I hope you get to study abroad! It is a great opportunity I recommend to everyone. I agree, humans need to adopt a greater understanding of sustainability because it will be necessary to sustaining our lifestyle and future generations with more environmental changes. Noticing our individual impacts is the first step to change. Sadly, many of us are not open to making personal changes to lifestyle.

2. Hello Laurene! My name is Karolina Powell and I look forward to taking the class with you. How long have you lived in State College? I spent a few years there and just moved further east about two years ago. Your post was well written and I enjoyed your points. Congratulations on not eating meat! However, I do think some of the points you made have more to them. For example, there is more to the decision to oppose commodities that cause pollution than just not using them. Even individual choices are constrained by what other options are made available. Thanks for your thoughts. Please check out my lesson one writing: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/14/lesson-1-karolina-powell/

• Hi Karoline, it is nice to meet you. I have lived in State College for two years. I plan to stay here for another year and intern after completing my degree. Thank you for your input. I agree with your statement entirely, there are many constraints on individual choices such as money, convince, and availability of other options. Although many people want to adopt sustainable practices, do not know where to begin. I hope to read more of your thoughts throughout the course.

• Laurene, I am sure you will certainly have a different view on many topics we cover so I look forward to reading them. Reading about your time in State College makes me miss mine! I did not attend even a single football game this year, so hopefully I can get down there this upcoming fall. Thanks for your response!