Getting to Know You

Hello! My name is Timothy Granata.  I am a Senior at the Worthington-Scranton Campus of Penn State.  I live in Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania having moved here from Pittston, Pennsylvania about 15 years (roughly) ago.  I am pursuing a degree in Information Sciences and Technology with the Design and Development option.  I would like to be either a database administrator, or software developer in my career.  Somewhat ironically, I currently intern at Benco Dental in Pittston in the Application Development department.  I am interested in this course because I have taken two other geography courses at Penn State as well as some Earth courses and decided that it be of my best interest to continue taking these courses until I graduate in the spring.  Other things I enjoy are cars, video games, computers, and jet skiing.

One issue that I believe to be important to geography is how there is a mutual relationship between how humans impact the environment, and how the environment impacts humans.  I think that it is very important that as humans, we understand the potential consequences of the actions we take that affect our environment.  There are plenty of examples of where these consequences were ignored.  One that comes to mind is the Centralia Coal Mines that are still burning underground to this day.  If we just took the time to better understand how these actions affect our environment, this disaster and many others like it could have been prevented.

3 thoughts on “Getting to Know You

1. First off, I attend Penn State Worthington Scranton as well! Second, I agree that we should think about the consequences on the environment and even us before doing something. Centralia is a very good example! After a family trip to Knobel’s amusement park one time, we drove by that town, and it was so sad to see that it is basically burning away. I agree with you because if the coal miners/ whoever decided to coal mine there had governance/ sought to find more about that area, then this most likely could have been prevented! It is sad that things like this have to happen, but hopefully disasters like this will teach people how to be environmentally sustainable and think before they do.
    Here is a link to my introduction blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/16/getting-to-know-me-2/

2. Hi Timothy,
    Small world! All of my family is still in the Scranton/Dunmore area, and one of my uncles lives in Lake Ariel. I grew up on the eastern side of the state before moving out to the western side. I’ve tried to make the term WEPA stick with my friends, but sadly it didn’t happen, ha! Here is a link to my introduction blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/15/getting-to-know-me-tanya-smith/

I agree with you about the impact the general population has on the environment. That in itself can be a scary thought. I think the older I get the more concerned I become about protecting what is left in natural resources. I never really thought much about it when I was younger. Now that I have a family of my own, I worry about what the world will be like for my kids.

I look forward to getting to know you throughout the semester.
    Tanya