LA 1: Getting to Know You

Greetings! My name is Samantha Sessamen, and I am a senior at Penn State University Park majoring in Agricultural Science. I was born in New York City, but have been raised in Tyrone, Pennsylvania for the last 14 years of my life. Upon graduating from Penn State this spring, I plan on either going into 4-H Extension Education or applying to achieve my Master’s Degree in Agricultural & Extension Education in order to teach in a high school agricultural science classroom. I am taking this course to fulfill a requirement for my minor of International Agriculture, and geography plays a big role in this field. Geography certainly is not my strong point, so I enrolled in this course to help expand my knowledge sand to gain a better understanding of different geographic perspectives.

As someone who has a deep interest in agricultural education, one aspect that I found interesting while completing Module 01 was with the Natural Sciences and how humans impact the environment. We are becoming a more urbanized society, particularly in the United States, and one of the items we tend to overlook is the impact that we are leaving for future generations to deal with later on. Within the next 50 years, we are expected to reach a population of over 7 billion people. How do we plan on feeding this many people? Certainly, we are losing a lot of natural resources as the years progress. We should figure out some possible solutions before we run out of resources for our children.

2 thoughts on “LA 1: Getting to Know You

1. Hi Samantha, my name is Nick Gasparovich. I was also born in New York City, but live in northern Jersey. I was intrigued by your post because we both see future problems with depleting resources. I agree that we can’t just be concerned with the present we need to understand that our actions today can greatly impact the future. As I mentioned in my post national governments need to start placing even heavier restrictions so we will be able to feed our growing population.
    My blog link– http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/15/nick-gasparovich-module-1/

2. Good morning(afternoon) Samantha! I am Tenaya. I currently live in Fort Worth, Texas. I am not a big fan of Texas . I am ready to move out of this state and find a new home in a state with mountains and more outdoor activities. I couldn’t agree with you more, the human race is constantly growing in size and causing more and more damage to the earth. With the urban life becoming more popular and the rise in population the amount of land that will be taken up will become bigger and bigger. This will slowly drown out our farm land and safe havens for the wildlife. I often wonder if someone has some sort of a contingency plan. This is a scary thought and then to think our children/grandchildren may suffer in ways we can not even imagine.
    My blog link is: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/14/tenaya-mulvey-getting-to-know-you/