Learning Activity: Getting to know you -Jake Hughes

My name is Jake Hughes. I am a 20-year-old Sophomore at Penn State University. I currently live in State College, but I grew up in Uniontown, Pennsylvania. Uniontown is about an hour south of Pittsburgh. I am pursuing a career in community recreation and tourism management in the RPTM College. I am interested in learning and expanded my knowledge of Geography through a college level course. My knowledge of Geography comes from my middle school Geography class so I am curious to find out more about Geography in a different setting. I really love to swim and play soccer. I also love movies. I would say my favorite movies are probably the Star Wars films. I am also a huge fan of music and live music.

As I went through Module 1, the issue that interested me the most was the Human impacts on the environment. Whether we know it or not, us humans have a very large impact on the natural environment. By altering the makeup of Earth’s surface and atmosphere we are harming our planet. As it states in module 1, we are also depleting a variety of natural resources, changing the climate, and causing many other species to go extinct. This topic is particularly important to me because I want to learn more about ways that we can preserve our planet for future generations and set them up for a world worth living instead of a planet that is dying before them. If we can understand why and how we are causing these things, then it will be significantly easier to prevent them.

One thought on “Learning Activity: Getting to know you -Jake Hughes

1. Hi Jake! My name is Julie and I am also from around the area of Pittsburgh. While reading your post, I found that you love to swim and play soccer. I also am very interested in sports and listening to music. Relating to the course, I also wrote about the role of humans in our environment. I find it very important how you wrote about the negative effects humans have on many different aspects of the Earth. Reading your post made me question whether humans have any positive effects on the environment and whether saving the planet would truly be easy or not.