Getting to Know You – Post 1

Hello, my name is Micaelie Bremer. I am a sophomore graphic design major who hopes to join a professional design firm in Philly or maybe go into the cartoon industry. I grew up in Branchburg, New Jersey, one can describe this town as “suburbia”. However, this summer, my family moved from Branchburg to Yardley, Pennsylvania to downsize after I went away to college. While at school, I live in an apartment building in downtown State College. My roommate suggested that I take this course because she said it was one of her favorite classes. I have always been interested in the make up of earth and Mother Nature herself. After I am done finishing my never ending projects for my majors and assignments for gen-ed’s, I like to sing with my a cappella group, hang out with friends from my major and just have the ultimate college experience!

While reading the introduction topics, I remembered that deforestation has always been a topic that concerns me. Obviously, trees and plants are important for all living creatures and the Earth as a whole because of the oxygen they provide as well as their role in cleaning toxins in the air. But I feel like people tend to over look how serious this topic is. By losing the trees, we are losing all types of other plant and animals lives that are vital to the ecosystem. I have always been interested and concerned about animals. Their environment has always been important to me. Animals are important to the Earth as well, whether their feces fertilize the Earth to help make more plants, or they eat bugs and plants to keep their population under control. I have always been fascinated with how important every creature and thing is important to the “circle of life” and how we are all interconnected. With deforestation, the “circle of life” is being hurt and I think it is important to help.

2 thoughts on “Getting to Know You – Post 1

1. Hi Micaelie! I am also a graphic design major and was really interested on your opinion of deforestation. I agree with many of your statements, especially the one in regards to how we as humans overlook how serious deforestation can really be. We as college students use textbooks and paper regularly without even blinking an eye as to how many trees these necessities have effected. The idea of “circle of life” is an interesting one in the sense that the more trees you cut down the more wildlife is effected therefore effecting our ecosystem and our society as humans. The interaction between deforestation and our lives as humans is similar to my opinion on the interaction between humans and our environments. Check out my link below for more information!

http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/18/getting-to-know-me-6/

2. Hi Michaelie. I also lived in a suburban town in New Jersey like you, so I can understand your point of view. Around me in New Jersey, there is the constant deforestation to build more houses. The animals and trees are not the only things that suffer, but similarly to what I detailed in my blog post bellow, we start to harm ourselves. It takes a long time for trees to grow as tall as they once were when we cut them down, and that upsets the sustainability of the area. Your “circle of life” idea is as right as can be; if we destroy our environment there will be nothing for us to live off of.

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/getting-to-know-you-module-one/