Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

My name is Thomas Devenney, but I prefer to be called Tom. I grew up and have my permanent residence in Lititz, Pennsylvania in Lancaster County. I am staying in State College, Pennsylvania while I am attending Pennsylvania State University Main Campus. My major is Environmental Systems Engineering in the College of Earth and Mineral Science. I hope to one day pursue a career in engineering with an environmental focus. I hope to be a registered engineer to have flexibility in being able to design and help design many different things. I am interested in this course to further my understanding of the relationship between humans and our planet. I am playing varsity football at Penn State and enjoying doing this very much. My favorite hobby is playing guitar.

The two concepts that stand out to me as important issues moving forward as a society are human impacts on the environment and environment impacts on humanity. As humanity has evolved throughout our history, we have made incredible advancements in technology. The issue with this is that these advancements come at a cost. We are depleting natural resources at a rate that we will not be able to replace them for future generations. The use of these natural resources play a significant part in generating greenhouse gases that cause Global Warming. Global Warming is causing the melting of the polar ice caps which cause shifts in climate all over the world that could threaten humanity in certain places of the world. This is why we need to move to make our technology sustainable to slow the effects of Global Warming and to reduce dependence on our natural resources to preserve our planet for future generations.

2 thoughts on “Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

1. Hi Tom!
    My name is Shanda. I’m from Pittsburgh, PA! I couldn’t have agreed with your post more. One of my biggest fears is that we will run out of natural resources or that Earth will not be able to sustain life in the manner in which it does now due to the pollution and overpopulation of society. It’s scary to think about. I really hope during the presidential election we can find out more about what candidates plan to do. I too think that this is a pretty crucial topic!
    Here’s a link to my post! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aSj

2. Hello Tom. My name is Lucas Skiba. My blog link http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/19/module-1-getting-to-know-you-12/. I was immediately interested and agree when you were talking about how we need to start using technology sustainability more to decrease global warming. I also believe we are depleting our natural resources way to fast and need to start thinking in ways to begin making our planet more green. I think some technology has steered us away from a clean and green earth such as cars and factories, but a lot of technology advancements have made our world more environmentally safer and i agree we need to strive towards that.