Module 1: Getting to Know You

Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah, and I am a sophomore at Penn State’s University Park campus. I am from Reading, PA, and this is my first year in State College. I am an Elementary Education major, and I want to be a teacher. I have enrolled in this course mainly because I need an economic geography course, although I am excited to be taking a geography course that talks a lot about human interaction and not just about landforms and weather (I had one of those last semester). I also love online courses, so when I saw this one was offered online, I couldn’t really pass it up.

One issue that I think is important to address is climate change. When reading about scale this week, it really amazed me when the passage said that “When we change the climate somewhere, we change it everywhere.” Every little impact that we have really does affect the entire planet, and it really puts things into perspective. Another passage said “we need to think about the types of impacts our individual decisions have for the natural world.” It really is a huge issue when we, as humans, don’t realize the impact we have on the earth.

2 thoughts on “Module 1: Getting to Know You

1. Hi Sarah! Im also and elementary education major! I strongly agree with your views and interest with climate change. It is very eye opening to know that everything we do as individuals has an impact everywhere and on the rest of the world!

2. Hello Sarah, I read that you love online courses. I do too, currently I am taking four online classes. I can be hard to manage, but as long as my calendars are in sync I am good. I agree that climate change is an important issue to be talking about. Both our posts can take scale into consideration with the areas that can be impacted. In my blog post I talked about another global issue how there will be more plastic then fish in the oceans by 2050. Take a look at my post at: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/19/getting-to-know-you-10/