Module 1 – Getting to Know You

Hello, my name is Justin Tenerowicz. I am senior studying chemical engineering at University Park. I grew up in a small town called Northern Cambria, PA which is about an hour and half west of State College. Throughout my undergraduate career, I have been introduced to many ideas and technologies that are making impacts on the Earth. In some of my classes, we discussed the future of renewable fuel sources as well as current CO2 emissions and the steps that are being taken now, and in the future, that will hopefully put a slow the process of climate change and eventually put a stop to it. I am interested in this course because I am hoping that after graduation I will be able to find a job focused on environmental engineering so that I can be a part of the process of finding more sustainable and environmental friendly solutions to some of the problems that being seen today.

The area of the class that I am most interested about is the Human – Environment Interactions. This interested me the most because I am currently taking an environmental engineering class, and one of the big topics that we are going over now is the fact that in the future, there will be a water crisis. There many reasons as to why this is happening, and the two main causes have been from pollutants entering surface and ground water as well as global warming causing droughts that have been seen before. I believe that many oil companies need to take a look at their ethics in how oil is extracted. There have been dozens of reports of gas making its way into groundwater systems leaving many residents unable to use any of their water.  I am looking forward to the future where new technologies will somehow be able to filter different sources of water that will be drinkable in sustainably ways so that we can provide water around the world without causing damage to local and global ecosystems.

2 thoughts on “Module 1 – Getting to Know You

1. Hi Justin. My name is Bryan Cammon and here is a link to my blog post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aTi. I strongly agree that a water crisis will be a huge issue in the future and is getting caused by what people are doing today. Droughts have negatively affected the water supply for people in the surrounding area. I liked how you pointed out that not having a clean water source is also a contributing factor to this problem and I too look forward to new technologies that will help this problem.

2. Hey Justin! Wow you want to be an environmental engineer! That’s awesome, this class is perfect for you. I really liked what you wrote about when it came to filtering our water. It’s a very scary thing to think about for future generations if we don’t come up with an outcome to stop these problems. That was very informative and well written. If you’d like to check out my blog about visualization, the link is http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/19/module-1-getting-to-know-you-5/