David Youn Post 1

Hello classmates, my name is David Youn and I am a chemistry major. I am expected to graduate this semester and planning on going to graduate school for biomedical engineering or biochemistry. Currently, I plan to pursue a career as a research professor at a big institution like Penn State. Answering unanswered scientific questions is a great interest to me. I love studying proteins and trying to find a applicable use for it. I currently live in State College, PA and attending the main campus. Most of my life I grew up in a small town called Cherry Hill, NJ, which is located about 30 minutes from Philadelphia. However, I was born in Seoul, South Korea, where I lived my first 9 years of my life. Both United States and South Korea have their pluses and minuses, but if I were to choose a place to live, I would choose United States because of there are more easy going people. I have a decent interest in this course because I know that lot of human actions effects the environment. I want to develop methods to reduce chemical wastes to prevent further harming the world.

Ever since I was a young kid, I had lot of interest in the environment. I was fascinated by what the nature was showing, especially the mountains. However, there were many incidents in which humans were destroying the nature by mountain fires, oil spills, and not efficiently decomposing waste such as plastic. I believe that in recent years, humans have been taking advantage of what the nature is providing. In the near future, it is projected that we will run of coals and oils to power the every necessities that we need. It was so shocking to see that Lake Folsom completely dried out within four years. It could be possible that due to climate changes the lake dried out, but I believe that human interactions had more effect on it. These are all things that we can change, but we have not. It is easy to prevent wildfires by not throwing away cigarette butts and not bring fire prone materials. We should be more considerate of the nature because without it the world won’t be the place that it used to be.

3 thoughts on “David Youn Post 1

1. Hi David! My name is Annaliese. I think it is really interesting that you are going to go to graduate school for possibly biomedical engineering because that is my intended major here at Penn State! Since I am only a freshman, I am still thinking about whether I want to go to graduate school or not, but I think that it would be a great experience. I also think it’s awesome that you are originally from Seoul, but you are also from Cherry Hill because I live near King of Prussia! It’s great that you want to try and develop methods that will help our hurting environment since not many people are like that. Good luck this semester!

2. Hey David! My name is Michael and here is a link to my blog.
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aWZ
    What caught my attention from your post is that you said you’re originally from Seoul, South Korea and i think that is really cool and interesting. I also agree with your analysis in that humans are destroying our ecosystems and that we are in danger, possibly in the near future. Thank you for your post and good luck with the semester!