Getting to know Peter Han

My name is Peter Han and I am currently a freshman at Penn State University Park. I live in Niles, Michigan but grew up in Saint Joseph, Michigan. My intended major is mechanical engineering. Within this major, I will be able to look at the way things work and explore many different areas. I am not sure what field of mechanical engineering that I would like to go into yet. I love playing and watching sports especially hockey and football. I passionately support all Detroit professional teams. I decided to take this course because I have been interested in the impact humans make on the earth since a class I took in high school. I also wanted a chance to get away from endless math and physics courses that I have been taking.

Natural hazards have an impact on human activity everyday and were discussed in this module with the introduction of the drought in California. These types of hazards have a major affect on humans living in the area. The topic I am discussing is human-environment interactions. Much of the California’s drought is caused by climate change, which has been shown to be a result of the burning of fossil fuels and release of pollutants into the atmosphere. Humans and the environment affect each other. Because of this drought, California is suffering because their farmers cannot irrigate properly in order to grow produce, which is widely shipped and traded throughout the United States, thus affecting the economy. Humans are also suffering water shortages in California. Climate change caused by humans impacts the environment and wildlife that requires water. These issues can be addressed through sustainability, where humans can work to rebuild the environment and California’s water supply.

2 thoughts on “Getting to know Peter Han

1. Hi Peter. I lived in California from 2012 through 2014. I lived in the Mojave desert, where it rained maybe a handful of times in the two years I was there. We were on strict water restrictions. Sustainability should be a major focus but it almost seems like it is treated as a regional issue. I grew up in Seattle, where it rained 9 months out of the year. There was never any concern about water shortages so even in the rain, you would see people watering their lawns. I feel resources should be valued the same. Waste is waste. It seems to many people only concern themselves with their “bubble”, rather than the big picture.

2. Hey Peter, I am also in engineering at University Park. I’m from the Philly area and I like Philly sports teams but, believe it or not, the Detroit Lions are my favorite football team. I agree that climate change can be addressed through sustainability which is what I talk about in my blog post. I think that saving our water supply is very important and it’s only a matter of time before the drought in California hits everywhere else.

Here’s my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-michael-celoni/