Getting to Know You: Gershom Espinoza

Hi, my name is Gershom Espinoza and I am a 20yr sophomore student at University Park. Most of my “long” life was spent in Oceanside, California, a suburb of San Diego before my former stepdad joined the military. Once this change came about, our family was able to travel to most of Western Europe, which was an invaluable experience and blessing for me as it influenced what I wanted to do. The major I am pursuing is Energy, Business and Finance (yes, that is one major 😉 However, due to my life’s experiences in addition to my many passionate pursuits in life, I realize that being an entrepreneur is what I will be. As someone who has had the opportunity to travel about and experience ‘life’ outside of my ‘hometown bubble,’ it has instilled in me the desire to do so ever more immersively as an adult.

My interest in this course stems from my childhood experiences growing up, personal values and also how I can apply what I learn in this course in the businesses I will and am doing whether it is finance, housing-development, agriculture, etc. One thing from the module 1 that repeatedly stuck out to me was the concept of scale. Regardless of application, when one’s actions are seeing on a grander scale, one realizes how much an effect every individual has whether for good or bad. I especially, am interested in housing development (not sure on urban, residential, commercial) but in such a way as to showcase the natural surrounding while making the least impact upon it. Lastly, another interesting tidbit about me is that I am currently learning Spanish (was my 1st language but due to circumstances forgot it) and German.

One thought on “Getting to Know You: Gershom Espinoza

1. Hello! My name is Joelle Marino and I’m a junior at University Park! Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/module-1-getting-to-know-you-17/

I find it interesting that the subject that stuck with you the most was scale. I found that to be something that stuck out to me as well. Seeing how our actions impact one another is something I have been studying due to my major of Early Childhood Education. Now I get to study it from how it impacts our planet itself and I’m excited to learn more about it.