Getting To Know You: M01, GEOG 30

Hello Class! My name is Jordan Dodderer. I am originally from Johnstown, Ohio but have since moved to Los Angeles, CA where I am a professional dancer for television, movies and music artists. It was always a dream of mine to pursue a dance career and the past 7 years have afforded me a great career in the entertainment industry. Another lifelong dream of mine was to receive my college diploma and so, I am pursuing my degree in Political Science through Penn State University World Campus. My pursuit of the degree at this point in time is really just to enhance my knowledge of the world at large and engage in thoughtful discussions in an academic setting. However, I am open to a future career change that is engaged in the political spectrum. I am taking this course in connection with understanding the political nature of human-environment interactions. I am excited to explore this area of study with you all!

The issue of governance resonates strongly with me as a resident of Southern California. The policy decisions made by governance have greatly affected our water resources and lead the region into a major drought in recent years. Many cities have enforced strict regulations on water usage, while others have enforced greater taxes on water consumption. Politically, the state has refused to impose these same regulations on farmers. I find this of particular interest in regards to the social aspect of human environment interactions and governance. Policy makers clearly regard that water is vital to the agriculture industry and keeping the land fertile with unrestricted water usage continues to drain the state water supply even as city residents continue to reduce their consumption effectively. Of course, there are no right and wrong answers to the policy debate, but I this specific example from my own experience came to mind as I read the descriptions of the importance of governance within Geography.

One thought on “Getting To Know You: M01, GEOG 30

1. Hi Jordan, this is Akiksha. ITs great that you’re pursuing a career in dance because dance is my passion too. What interested me about your post is the issue i.e the issue of governance that you have talked about. I completely agree with the fact we and specially the concerned authorities need to look into the decisions and rules that are being made because if we don’t act now it might be too late which will in turn be bad for our future generations. I hope this course goes good for you.
    Here is a link to my post :http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-module-1-3/