Getting to Know You: Robert Hudert

Hello everyone my name is Robert Hudert and I am a senior economics major at Penn State University Park. Currently while at school I live in State College, PA but I grew up in Wayne, NJ, about 15 miles outside Manhattan. I am very interesting in financial markets and real estate and hope to obtain an entry-level job in either real estate consulting or acquisitions/investing. My initial interest in this course was after noticing that it discussed global warming. But I am an eagle scout and as such am very interested in the outdoors and therefore want to learn about the world we live in and our impact on it. Some fun facts about me include that I love to snowboard and surf, and one day I hope to climb Mount Everest.

Human-Environment Interactions and the differing perspectives it can be learned through is not only something I find interesting but something that is very important for future generations. Looking into the first question on how does the natural environment shape, control and constrain human systems, it is important to think about the possible revolving cycle that human interaction is causing. For example look at the draught in California. It is having an effect on many things: crop production, green grass, water reserve supply, restrictions on individual water usage, etc. When we think of a draught, we think because of a lack of rain. But looking deeper, we can ask various questions regarding our human impact on our ecosystem, and the effects we have had on weather patterns over the years. Is the lack of rain due to global warming, which in part is caused by human carbon emissions? These questions spur further questions regarding how companies need to put forward policies that will promote environmental sustainability into the future. With improved governance, controls, and oversight, we can look begin to try and solve some issues in the geographic space.

One thought on “Getting to Know You: Robert Hudert

1. Hello! I’m Joelle and I’m a junior up at University Park! Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/module-1-getting-to-know-you-17/

I noticed that you wrote on the Human-Environment Interactions part of the lesson as well. I found that the impact of the drought was actually very shocking. Seeing your perspective on it as well is very interesting. I like that you decided to look deeper into why it could happen and the types of reasons why this could happen.