Module 1: Getting to Know You

Hi everyone! My name is Karissa Kelly and I am a junior currently attending Penn State at University Park. I live with my parents in Kennett Square, PA when I am not attending school. Growing up I moved around frequently, I lived in Littleton, CO until I was ten. From that point my father’s job relocated my family to Shanghai, China which I found to be an amazing experience. After three years in China we moved back to Colorado for a year, until we found a home in Kennett Square, PA where we have lived ever since. As an Agricultural Sciences major I hope to use my degree in either conservation work overseas or in plant related research. My interest in this course stems from my desire to understand the connections between humans and their environment as well as how we can better those interactions to positively benefit the environment. A fact about me is that I love to travel the world and have already been to places such as Canada, Japan and South Africa.

One of the biggest issues that I believe Geography can address in our world today is climate change. Climate change is a direct result of human impact on the environment. As stated in the Scale section of this module, climate change is an issue on a global scale. Though I cannot argue with this point I also believe that there are smaller scales to take into consideration such as a city scale. One of the main arguments is that climate change in caused by car emissions. Higher populated cities will have more cars which will give off higher amounts of emissions. So while it is true that climate change is apparent on a global scale it is also true on a combination of smaller contributing scales. This idea of car emissions causing climate change also plays into the ideas in the Human- Environment Interactions section. Our two systems are currently not existing in a sustainable manner. Globally we need to find a way to reduce our carbon dioxide output before damaging the world any further.

5 thoughts on “Module 1: Getting to Know You

1. Hey I’m from West Chester so i’m super familiar with Kennett! I agree what you said that what were doing is not sustainable. I think it should be taken more seriously for sure. Have a great junior year!

2. Hi Karissa, my name is Jake Segall (Senior, Meteorology major).
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/module-1-learning-activity-about-me/

I wanted to respond to your post because I could not agree with you any more! Climate change is obviously a global scale issue, one that I have learned much about in my four years at Penn State. People often are intimidated by this scale, and because of it, do nothing to help better our future. It starts at an individual scale, however. If everyone would take responsibility for their carbon footprint (along with several other footprints), then the scale of things would decrease and the problem would begin to disappear.