Module 1: Getting To Know You – Ben Ceci

Hi everybody! My name is Ben Ceci and I am a 3rd year Landscape Architecture student, minoring in horticulture, at University Park. I was born and raised in Greenwich, CT and hope to use my education to add an architectural branch to my dad’s landscaping / site development business. As a designer of the outdoors, I think that it’s very important to learn about the land, how it functions, and how I can design in the best possible way to preserve the land. With the landscape architecture department focusing on sustainability, it would also be beneficial to learn about how humans are directly affecting the environment and how I can design in a more sustainable way. Although I’m from CT, my whole family consists of die hard Steelers fans and whenever the Steelers have a home game in the playoffs, we rent a bus and 30 – 40 of us buckle up and spend the weekend in Pittsburgh. I love to travel as well so learning about the geography in different areas interests me as well.

A big issue in the world today is the increase in population and how to deal with it. Everyday more and more people are born and more and more farmland is being developed. This is a recipe for failure because eventually there will not be enough resources to feed all of these people. Once the agricultural soils are developed, they are basically destroyed and no longer ideal for farming. This has a lot to do with scale because the population is increasing both locally and worldwide while the farmland is decreasing locally and worldwide as well. It is our generation’s responsibility to plan out development and design sustainably in order to allow the future generations to live in the same way that we do now, if not better.

3 thoughts on “Module 1: Getting To Know You – Ben Ceci

1. Hey Ben! My name is Rob Hudert. It is interesting to see that your are looking to learn more about geography so that you can apply what your learn to your interest. It seems you already are aware of human’s impact on the environment and it is cool knowing that you are looking to enhance your kraft with sustainable practices. Unlike you I just took this course because it sounded interesting, but it is nice to see we both have a great love for the outdoors in our own ways. Your concerns about population growth is very interesting and I am looking forward to learning more about the environmental impacts of such. Look at China and the air pollution that is looming in major cities. I think it is def an issue that is going to be a concern going forward.

My link:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/20/getting-to-kno…-robert-hudert/

2. Hi Ben! My name is Becca Hodge. I agree with your stance on the population issue and I think that its very interesting that you are able to connect such an issue to your chosen major so well! The point you made about using what you are studying to help create a better, more sustainable world is really note-worthy. I also believe that our generation is responsible and that we should use our talents to improve the world around us!

3. Hi, Ben! This is Gloria Kim. It was very impressive that you have lots of interest in geography related to your major and family background. Because I’m just taking this class because I need one more GS and my advisor recommended. Anyway, like you are considering, I also believe that our generation should be responsible to deal with the population and the farmland problem and let the future generations live in the same way we do now. Thank you for sharing yours with us!