Module 1: Getting to Know You, Jacqueline Jimenez

Hi everyone! My name is Jacqueline Jimenez and I am a sophomore at University Park. I was born in Kennett Square, PA and lived there until I was five years old and then moved to my current hometown, Newtown, PA. I am an Elementary Education major specializing in PK-4 with a minor in Special Education. After graduation I hope to be able to teach third grade in an inclusion class. I am excited for this class because I have heard a lot of great things about it and I cannot wait to expand my knowledge on a topic that I have not had the chance to learn too much about. I absolutely love traveling and have been lucky to be able to travel to many different countries. I also work at Starbucks in the HUB.

A huge problem that we face today are human decision making and processes that are shaping and changing the natural environment.  I believe that although sustainability is a great concept, we are not trying hard enough to continue human activities without disrupting natural ecosystems. Another issue that stood out to me in Module 1 was how interconnected humans and all other animals are with the Earth. The example of the the drought in California that has devastating effects on the ecosystem as well as humans was eye opening. It began to affect agriculture and tourism as well as recreational industries. These examples of how natural events can disrupt the activities of all animals is astounding. I think that it is surprising that people can be so informed of what is going on in the natural world and still continue to not change anything in their lives to help Earth to be healthy and be able to sustain life.

4 thoughts on “Module 1: Getting to Know You, Jacqueline Jimenez

1. Hey Jacqueline! My name is Molly McLaughlin and when I was reading through your post I saw that we have a few things in common! I’m from Bucks County, Pa and more specifically Warrington which is really close to Newtown. I’m also an Early Childhood Education major and would eventually love to teach 3rd or 4th grade. Finally, I recently started working at the Starbucks in Hub but I don’t think I’ve worked with you yet so hopefully I can meet you soon!

2. Hi Jaqueline. My name is Christina Liptak. I am also a Sophomore. I am also planning to be a teacher for PK-4. I wish you the best for becoming a teacher.

3. Hi Jaqueline!
    I am also a sophomore going into Elementary Education so I would say we have a bit in common! I completely agree with you when you say that it is surprising how people are informed, but yet do nothing. I don’t think that people really put nature or the natural world as a priority, which is quite sad. I think as future teachers, it is part of our job to make sure kids stay informed and to do what we can for the Earth.
    -Caitlyn Ramirez

Here is a link to my post!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/module-1-getting-to-know-caitlyn-ramirez/