Module 1 Getting to Know You – Yeeren Low

Hi everyone, I’m Yeeren Low. I’m a senior majoring in physics and mathematics at Penn State University Park. I’m currently residing at State College while I have my permanent residence in eastern PA and I grew up near Raleigh, NC. My parents immigrated to the U.S. from Malaysia before I was born. I am the second of three brothers. I am thinking of pursuing a career in STEM research/development. I am using this course to fulfill a general requirement, and it appeared interesting but prior to this course I really knew nothing about geography.

One topic that has been around is human-caused climate change. This is an example of human-environment interactions. These interactions run both ways — the environmental changes we humans bring on can come back to affect us in ways we might not even know. However the ones most severely affected may not be the ones causing such changes. This issue has an economic dimension as depletion of natural resources will change trade. This means sustainability is key as our lives can change drastically if resources are depleted.

2 thoughts on “Module 1 Getting to Know You – Yeeren Low

1. Hi Yeeren! In my blog post (http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-alex-deebel/) I also talked about the issue of sustainability. I talked about the impact business have on the environment, and how many consumers are demanding higher standards of environmental protection from them. Since many of the large corporations have implemented plans for reduction in natural resource use and pollution, I think it is time for the services industry to do so also. You mentioned the depletion of our natural resources, and this is something I hope to slow down with my suggestions. Major service providing companies should try to cut down on the frequency of travel to client sites (specifically by plane), and share more files electronically as opposed to printing multiple copies of long reports. I think this would be a great first step to conserving our natural resources.

2. Hey Yeeren! I talked about human-environment interactions in my blog post as well! Please read it here https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aTL. How long will it take you to major in both physics and mathematics? I am majoring in nuclear engineering, therefore I have taken my share of both physics and mathematics classes. After reading your post, I stopped to think about how much the environment can affect or change us as human beings. I can help to point out the mild winter we had here in state college up until recently.

Stay warm going to class today!

Katy