Module 1 – Ryan Daley

Hi everyone, my name is Ryan Daley and I am a senior here at Penn Sate studying professional golf management. I currently live in the Meridian Apartments downtown and have been there since my sophomore year. I grew up in North East Philadelphia and then eventually moved to Yardley which is in the suburbs of Philadelphia. After I complete my studies I plan on pursuing a career in golf club management and merchandising. I am taking class because it satisfies a requirement for my major but I also have an interest in geography. Some other facts about me are I played hockey for almost all my life and played at the collegiate level my freshman year before injuries sidelined me and I decided to transfer to Penn State. I also avidly back country ski and snowboard, and hope to move out to the mountain west in the near future.

After reading all the material in the first module I became aware of the many ways  geography can be useful and it was definitely to my surprise. An issue that was brought up in the module that I am interested in exploring a little more is the climate change problems that our world is facing. A lot of people in the world either have no idea that climate change exists, or refuse to acknowledge it as a legitimate problem. I think that the study and practice of geography can help remedy this lack of knowledge by providing more maps that display the effects that climate change is having on our world. Hopefully these maps can change the way people think about their energy consumption and pollution practices.

2 thoughts on “Module 1 – Ryan Daley

1. Hey Ryan!
    I am Akiksha, a freshman at Penn State. Firstly, I’d really like to acknowledge your interest in professional golf management. I think it is pretty unique what you’re doing and I wish you luck for your future endeavors in it along with good luck for this course. I haven’t been to Philly yet but I have heard it’s pretty amazing. Adventure is one of my favorites too and I would love to learn to skii if I get the opportunity to. I completely agree with the issue that you’ve mentioned. I think issues like climate changes and sustainability which should be prioritized are going unnoticed. As Caitlyn has mentioned above, hopefully we’d be able to learn more and raise awareness about such topics thus doing our duty towards Mother Earth.
    Here’s a link to my post : http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-module-1-3/

2. Hi Ryan!
    I have honestly never heard of someone who is studying professional golf management so I think that is pretty interesting! I am also from the Philly area; I grew up in King of Prussia. I also think climate change is something we should all learn about and focus on, especially since this past year we didn’t get really and cold weather or snow until just recently. I think people don’t really prioritize the condition of our planet and what we need to do to fix it, which is quite sad. Hopefully with this course, we’ll learn a lot more about what we can do!
    -Caitlyn Ramirez

Here is a link to my blog post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/18/module-1-getting-to-know-caitlyn-ramirez/