Natalie Hall: Getting to know you

Hi, I’m Natalie Hall, a freshman studying Art Education and hopefully Environmental Inquiry as well. I am from West Chester, PA which is about 25-30 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I hope to be an art educator, or teach something along the lines of sustainability and conservation of the environment. However, I would like my end career to just be an artist. I took this class because I’ve always had a strong interest on the effect humans have on the environment and hope to learn more about it. I am part of club snowboarding and love art, hence Art Ed. I mostly paint, but am getting into graphic design. I enjoy basically every sport and signed up for way too much at the involvement fair, like they say not to do. Also, I’ve never taken an online course before so this is a little weird.

I found the interstellar scale video mind-blowing. I didn’t realize that just based on the power of 10 we could become so miniscule. Seeing the astronomical scale, I felt reminded of how important it is to take care of our small earth. When shrinking to earths scale, you see that it is not much different; all these small events come together to effect us globally, such as global warming and deforestation. The idea of commodity chains (links collection of goods, to production of goods, to distribution of goods) emphasizes the globalization of human interaction and our effect on the earth. The example for this was deforestation, which is negatively effecting our world because of the mass demand, thus mass destruction of much needed ecosystems. I found it interesting how political our effect on the environment can be.

One thought on “Natalie Hall: Getting to know you

1. Hi Natalie, I’m Eric. I also believe that the powers of ten video was mind blowing. It’s crazy to think that something that seems as massive to us as the earth does is actually just speck of dust in comparison to the universe. Your post specifically caught my attention because I love learning about the universe which is why I am minoring in Astronomy and Astrophysics. I hope you have a great semester!

My Post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/20/getting-to-know-you-eric-acosta/