Biogas Diagram-Sophia Greene

biogas_diagram_slg326

In my diagram I illustrated the relationship between the social system and the ecosystem. One core value of my diagram shows the effects cooking had on the village. Cooking took a toll on the environment, the health of the villagers, and the children’s time for their education. All of those effects from cooking are shown in my diagram. Another core value of my diagram focuses on the biogas generator and the effect it had on the village. Using the natural resource of cow dung to power the biogas generators, the collection for wood was no longer necessary and smoke was no longer a by-product of cooking. The biogas generator was not only a solution to all of the problems previously faced by the village though. The biogas generator also created an opportunity to make money and fertilizer for the villagers by using the compost. These outcomes are also illustrated in my diagram. Like Merten, I set up my diagram in the same layout, with social systems on the left and ecosystems on the right. However, Merten included the outcome the biogas had on trees, shrubs and plant residues, while I focused on other effects the biogas generator had. Our diagrams were different because we focused on different outcomes. Because these differences exist, the two diagrams show the wide range of effects the biogas generator had.

One thought on “Biogas Diagram-Sophia Greene

1. Hey Sophia, I noticed that our diagrams shared a good bit of similarities. Our diagrams shared a similar layout, with the social system side on the left and the ecosystem side on the right. They also included the smoke’s effect on human health, while the diagram from the reading left it out. We also both included the economic incentive associated with the biogas generators. This technology certainly seems like it would have a lot of upside, as long as it is put into the hands of people of all social statuses in India. As the technology becomes cheaper and cheaper, it will certainly have a great impact on both the human social system, and the ecosystem in India. Feel free to check out my post below!

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/24/biogas-diagram-jared-mummert/