Cody Rhodes Biogas Diagram and Explanation

Untitled document

The core idea here is to illustrate which practices are sustainable. Those practices marked with red lines are societal practices that are not ecologically sustainable. The green lines represent positive ecological outcomes/results and the blue lines represent societal practices that are sustainable. Using the practices marked by the blue and green lines, the stability of the interactions between human society and the natural (non-human) environment increases. The blue and green lines also depict a positive feedback loop, ending with increased income for the rural communities, which will lead to more of these communities installing biogas plants. The diagram is similar to that in our reading that it contains aspects of societal need and ecological factors. The diagrams differ in scale, and Marten’s diagram depicts society and the environment as two separate entities, but it is my belief that the two are so closely related I shouldn’t divide them thusly. Perhaps another, more concrete reason for this difference is the broad scale Marten’s diagram uses juxtaposed with the small-scale, acutely specific scale presented in this module. To me, it seems that my diagram would interact between both parts of Marten’s.

2 thoughts on “Cody Rhodes Biogas Diagram and Explanation

1. Hi Cody! My name is Julie Cardillo! I really like how you color-coated your lines in relation to what they represent. I discussed how what you have in blue and green increases stability, as well. I came to the conclusion that if the villagers use biogas, then their village will be more stable. I am assuming that your red lines indicate the practices that allow the village to remain resilient. However, our diagrams differ in a few ways, but that is a good thing. By looking at your diagram, I thought more about the outcomes of the compost from the cow dung. Moreover, I realized that the compost will better farmer’s crops and allow them to sell them at higher prices. This is why I believe that viewing other’s perspectives is important when trying to fully grasp something! Here is a link to my blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/25/biogas-diagram-julie-cardillo/

2. Hi Cody, my name is Nick Gasparovich. You post caught my eye for several reasons. First off bringing up the idea of sustainability was very interesting because I did not really focus on that aspect of the task. Secondly our system diagrams are very similar, since we both saw the task as one large ecosystem. Your comparison between you own diagram and Marten’s was almost identical to mine. I also like the idea of color coding positive and negative feedback loops. Check out by blog at — http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/24/nick-gasparovich-module-2-learning-task/