Biogas In India, Sutter

In my systems diagram (BiogasINDIA jds5940), I constructed a cause and effect system that shows turning to the newer technology of biogas generators can better cooking and other household chores, along with bettering their society. Importantly, utilizing the biogas generators the healthiness of the households of India will increase.  Shown in the video, in the town of Karnataka, before the biogas stoves, wood stoves were used to cook upon.  The smoke produced from the wood is health hazards to all.  Thus, replacing wood burning stoves with biogas stoves, will eliminate the breathing irritants caused by wood smoke. A secondly is the correlation between biogas generators and the local children’s education.  Specifically, the children will spend much less time gathering wood for their mother’s cooking stove, which we observed in the video caused school tardiness.  With more time, children will have more time to focus on their studies.  This is important because this will help lead to an educated population, which leads to prosperity for all.  In regard to the figure, the similarity is that both Figure 1.5 and my diagram are dealing with human interactions with the ecosystem. The difference is the scale of the diagrams. This is because my diagram deals with a specific region and issue, while Figure 1.5 is addressing the much larger scope of dealing with the entire ecosystem and social systems.  Lastly, after seeing both diagrams, you can clearly see the cyclic pattern of services and energy flowing from each side as seen in Figure 1.5.

2 thoughts on “Biogas In India, Sutter

1. Hi Justin! My name is Emily Dinges and I found your diagram to be very interesting as to how you created a cause and effect system. It was clear from the video that one problem lead to another and the biogas generator could eliminate such problems. I agree that both of our diagrams are different from the example since we were focusing on one area, thus a smaller scale. My diagram was similar to yours in that we included fertilizer as a source of money. This created jobs for women as people demanded fertilizer to fuel their generators. Here is a link to my blog entry: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/24/biogas-systems/

2. Hi Justin! My name is Cassandra Oresko. After reading your blog, I was very interested in how you really went outside the box in regards to your description of biogas generators and the education of the children. This correlation showed that children will have more time to focus on their studies if there is less time spent gathering wood. As an education major, I was very interested in this entry because of your great points and thoughtful thinking. On a similar note, my post included the importance of education as well in my diagram (compost and cow dung mix leads to less child labor). However, we contrasted in our diagrams. I never really thought about the demand for cooking fuel and the human population like you did. At such a large number, the biogas technology was truly such an intelligent idea for India and has helped health in such a positive way.
    Attached is the link to my blog entry!: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/cao5241/