Garrett Webster biofuel diagram

My diagram shows both the negative effects on the human health and the environment, but also the positive affects it can have on biodiversity and the local economy.  Firstly the social section of my diagram highlights key points that children and spending more time collecting firewood, which in turn limits their ability to succeed in school.  Also the wood burning smoke from the wood stove inside the house has a negative effect on the children’s health causing chest pain and eye irritation.  Also the women are spending so much of their time collecting firewood and it is having a negative impact on the environment.   The environment side of the diagram highlights the use of cow manure and water, which is distilled in a large tank for a day, creates methane gas.  This gas then can be attached to a stove and burned.  The leftover material from the tank is called slurry which can be combined with fibrous materials to make a high organic matter compost.  This compost can be sold to farmers which in turn can increase crop yield, which allows the farmers to sell these crops at a higher price increasing their income.  The revenue made from selling the compost is used for furthering the children’s education. 

The diagram by Marten is very detailed and depicts how two systems are both related and interconnected.  My diagram depicts how two systems, the social and ecological, are both related and interconnected.  My diagram has a specific product which is biofuel and how this affects both systems.  In Martens diagram depicts how the systems interact with its equal. 

One thought on “Garrett Webster biofuel diagram

1. Garrett,
    My name is Karolina Powell and I believe this may be the first time we have a class together so I am looking forward to reading your work. I found your system very easy to follow as you were able to use short phrases and show the connections. This was a problem I couldn’t solve on mine and wrote out half sentences so I wish I had your idea. If I had anything to add on this one, I would have connected the biogas generator with some more of your social points, for example by stating that the biogas stove reduced health risks and increased the amount of time spent on education. If you have time, please take a look and comment on mine: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/25/karolina-powell-lesson-2/

Thanks for your post,
    Karolina Powell