Biogas Generating System -Ralph Diaz

rad5402 (500x375)

My system diagram includes many social and environmental impacts of the biogas generator. Each line indicates one idea is directly impacting the next. I did not differentiate the social and environmental parts of this diagram because they are highly interconnected. One really interesting component that I did not include in this chart is the positive feedback loop this biogas generator model is creating: as villagers are seeing the impact of this biogas generator, they are likely to want one themselves, and this creates a positive feedback loop concerning the demand of this generator. Small household units like this are self sustainable and can have large impacts on carrying capacity of the land.

The main difference between my system diagram and the example in figure 1.5 is the immediacy of impacts. The example has many impacts shown that may take years or decades to manifest, but I largely included immediate, noticeable impacts (typically things that would be noticed within a single year). Between my model and figure 1.5, the interconnection is well preserved. Both models demonstrate that each of these impacts are related in some way. I believe the main source of the differences in these two diagrams are that the writer of the example diagram and I have slightly different views. I tend to view things in what can be immediately shown or proven while the writer of the example also views things concerning potential long-term impacts. This comparison can teach us how differently we can view environmental matters and the impact of specific items in our lives.

3 thoughts on “Biogas Generating System -Ralph Diaz

1. Hi Ralph, my name is Neil Karmaker. You can view my blog post here:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/biogas-generation-system-neil-karmaker/

Your systems diagram caught my attention because of how simple and informative it was compared to mine. Mine ended up being very convoluted and difficult to read where all the different connections ended up. In your blog post, I also did not realize the positive feedback loop that you suggested, and I think that that point is also very interesting. Great effort with the organization and simplicity of your systems diagram, I think it really stands out.

2. Hi Ralph. Your diagram really caught my attention. You made biogas generator a big concept and I agree with you. The biogas generator created a lot of positive feedback loops like you’ve stated. Women could now support their families, health issues have decreased and it’s more efficient. I can understand why you didn’t state “social” and “ecosystem”. Comparing your diagram with figure 1.5, I see both similarities and differences. In your diagram you had specific main focuses. I think you did a very nice job creating your diagram and explaining it.

Here’s the link to my post:
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-b28

-Kelsey Somers

3. Hey Ralph,

I liked your idea of not separating the parts of the social system from the ecosystem as a way to show they are so intertwined. Its obvious we are so entrenched in nature that almost every action we make will have some effect on our surroundings. Our diagrams share a lot of the same ideas, however I did maintain the distinction between the social and ecosystem. I noticed you mentioned the impact on the landfills which I had not included, as well as the impact on the children’s education.

Fellow Classmate,
    Ryan Gebhardt

Here’s a link to my blog if you’d like to see it:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/ryan-gebhardt-module-2/