Biogas Mod 2 Blog

In my diagram I constructed a model that represented the process behind the social and environmental systems in India. The human population in India is large and with this is demand for ways to cook food and with the new technology available of biogas, the villages can use renewable resources like cow dung to convert it into a fuel source for preparing food. Considering that India is a poorer country the availability of a free resource is a sustainable key resource to these individuals livelihood. With this technology it gives the mothers time to make money off the compost that farmers use.

My diagram differs from the figure in the reading because the Chinese seem to be burning anything available when the Indian’s seem to be burning only twigs and branches. But our diagrams are alike in that the population of China and India both demand biogas generators and compost. The reason for these similarities and differences are due to the environmental differences and poverty being the similarity between the two cultures. I learned that after looking at my diagram and the diagram displayed in figure 1.5 is that china doesn’t really care for the education of poorer students compared to India’s seemingly demanding importance in the education community.

Biogas_diagram_gsc5075

One thought on “Biogas Mod 2 Blog

1. Hi Gavin, I’m Ian your feel free to check out my blog post here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/ian-duchene-biogas-in-india/
    Your chart stood out to me by due to the split between the Ecosystem and the Social System. Although they are separated they still coincide with one another and build off of each other. If you are comparing the two of our diagrams you will notice that I included the negative affects of a wood burning stove in the home, and then how a biogas plant was advantageous in comparison to a wood burning stove. I thought it would help illustrate the overall impact of the biogas plant in India. The biogas plant implementation into communities has a very positive and lasting ripple effect on the entire community.