Module 2: Gershom Espinoza

biogas_gbe5025

This diagram illustrates the multiple “links” or feedback mechanisms a human society can have on the natural landscape. Every human activity done on the environment can have positive or negative affects for both systems. For instance, in rural India a longstanding fuel source was wood, which, when used creates ash. Not only are the benefits of wood as fuel few but as time progresses the resiliency and stability of the surrounding habitat of  the area with be critically strained under a bigger demand for resources with a shorter recovery time. The net effect of such ongoing activities means that humans as well as the environment will be progressively worse off. However, with the implementation of a biogas generator, the human populace’s impact on the landscape will be mitigated to a certain degree. By moving away from a linear system (Production-Consumption-Waste) into a closed loop system (Pro.-Cons.-Waste-Pro) the populace is able to maintain or increase their standard of living while at the same time doing the same for the environment because not as many resources are needed. A more important aspect of such a change means that the human populace and environment are better off in the short term as well as the long term (assuming no “drastic changes”).

My diagram was more “illustrative” in how the objects were depicted which may detract from the goal of keeping things as comprehensive and simple as possible amidst all the connections. Also, it was difficult to not include more text captions in the diagram as each effect could be further developed. I could do better at using every niche of space better.

4 thoughts on “Module 2: Gershom Espinoza

1. Hello Gershom, my name is Gilberto. I really like your diagram cause it really captures your message while being very original. It is simple, yet straightforward with some originality. I feel you could show a bit more regarding how it affects the ecosystem. The text is well-written and helps the reader follow along what is happening. In mine I went a less creative approach but I still feel I did a good job showing how different aspects of the biogas generator affect the ecosystem and their society. What really caught my interest here was the very obvious Pac-Man that you made.

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/module-2-gilberto-aponte-prats

2. Hi, my name is Alyssa and I think your diagram is one of the most exuberant and simplified without missing the important, necessary information. I think the color and the simple, yet creative design gives a new light to the project. Because the biogas generator was such an uplifting piece of technology for the people in India, why not make the diagram explaining the connections as uplifting. You are obviously a creative and intelligent person and I commend you on think outside of the box. I also felt that every text caption could have been expanded more. I had a hard time not being too wordy when I explained the connections between the different components! Also, here is a link to my post if you are interested https://wp.me/p3RCAy-b84

3. Hi, my name is Alyssa and I think your diagram is one of the most exuberant and simplified without missing the important, necessary information. I think the color and the simple, yet creative design gives a new light to the project. Because the biogas generator was such an uplifting piece of technology for the people in India, why not make the diagram explaining the connections as uplifting. You are obviously a creative and intelligent person and I commend you on think outside of the box. I also felt that every text caption could have been expanded more. I had a hard time not being too wordy when I explained the connections between the different components!