Thomas Devenney Learning Activity Module 2

biogas_twd5204My systems diagram proves that the carrying capacity of areas using a biogas system increases by increasing the energy resources (fuel), money, and schooling (opportunities for increased monetary resources in the future) available to the people that work in handling the cow dung, compost, and biogas system itself. It is possible to argue that this systems diagram could represent a positive feedback loop in job creation in the short term for a much larger system, being the Indian rural community as a collective. This could be due not only to the initial jobs that the first biogas systems create, but also the potential jobs that it could create for other rural communities in India that hear about how beneficial the biogas system is and want ones for their own communities. My diagram is similar to the Marten digram in that mine shows how the biogas system affects education, money, health, air pollution, plant growth, and plant preservation. My diagram is different than the Marten diagram in that it does not show how values, social organization, animals, microorganisms, or water are impacted by the biogas system. There are similarities and differences between the two diagrams because this video did not portray possible effects to the topics that I did not include, however, it is more than likely that all of these areas are effected in ways not explained by the video. We can learn from this comparison that not every system affects each of these areas, as each system is different.

One thought on “Thomas Devenney Learning Activity Module 2

1. Hi Tom, my name is Amir and as someone who has done projects to benefit struggling communities in other countries, I strongly agree with your statement of how essential something like this can be for a community. I like how you linked your diagram with an outside loop, showing that in the end, all categories are connected in one way or another. I also noticed that the video failed to touch on the cons of projects like these. I also think the biggest issue with projects like these is money and resource availability. India is the most populated country in the world, with one of the lowest GDPs out there, implementing something as innovative and advanced as this system can be a real issue.

Link to my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/biogas-system-diagram-2/