Biogas in India

The main purpose for my figure was my attempt visually represent the positive effects that the biogas generator has had on the Indian population as well as its environment and ecosystem.  Prior to the installation of a Biogas system the people and environment were wasting a lot of time trying collect materials such as fire wood.  This was also affecting the environment, as well as the education for the children.  Another effect that happened was that the Biogas system helped reduce the pollution to the air.  This directly improves the health of everyone in India.  Another improvement in this system was that the children no longer have to go “scavenge” for fire wood, thus allowing them to finally attend school on time.  This system also produces both methane gas, as well as compost.  This opens a door for India to start selling “fertilizers” and fuel.

I believe that my diagram is a little bit similar to figure 1.5 in the Gerry Marten reading.  The diagrams were both broken up into two systems, social and eco.  However the major difference is the level of detail between the two.  My diagram contains the bare minimal information that is pointing to the positive effects.  Gerry’s diagram delves into how each and every effect is connected.  There are similarities because both of us looked at the positive effect of the biogas generators.  There are differences because I did not look into the “fine” details of every effect.  What can be learned is that there is farm more details that are missed if the effects aren’t thoroughly thought about.

biogas_szf5164

2 thoughts on “Biogas in India

1. Hello, my name is Madison Halbom and I found your post interesting in discussing the effect the biogas system has on India. I found it interesting the different effects you talked about in your post like the firewood collection that was causing kids to not have time to study for school and often being late for school. Another aspect I thought was interesting was the reduction of pollution in the air. I very much agree with your post, in my post I focused on sustainability of the system and how in some cases within the system it acts like a feedback system in the situation of the cow feces with the aiding the biogas system and how that produces compost which in hand produces money, that can be put back into the cows. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/11/biogas-system-madison-halbom/

2. Hi! I also think BioGas is important for India’s health and air quality in general. I’m actually wondering what the side effects of the BioGas are to the environment. Do we know if it’s 100% safe?
    Our Diagrams are also similar in simplicity. You can see it here: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bcD . I have a few more categories on each side and how the social and eco system are affecting each other.