My Perspective on Ethics

Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans (ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics)?

Humans are included in their ecosystems! I hold this view because I always consider myself one with the ecosystem, rather than acknowledge the human social system as separate. If I think deeper about this, maybe they are separate. The human social system is anthropocentrism. If we lived with our ecosystem, we would live synchronously, not exploit landscapes and living and nonliving resources, therefore, we would adopt an ecocentric ethic. Honestly after seeing the “pristine” ecosystem of the Amazon Rainforest my views on how humans interact with the environment have changed. While living in that region, I considered every aspect of my wastes impact. Ecosystems do matter for their own sake. That region creates an ecosystem driven by natural atmospheric processes that would exist if humans did not live there, but my impact can alter that system. It is fascinating that humans have the technology and cultural patterns to live around the Earth in places where non-human animals and plants have naturally evolved to live. Our ecosystems impact us, but we have found ways to adapt. With global warming causing weather patterns to shift around Earth’s climate regions I think humans will have to focus on an ecocentrism perspective. If we focus on aiding non-human life as it aids us and preserving natural resources, we might have a better chance of adapting to the unpredictable change in the future.

Do the pleasure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans (speciesism)?

Human and non-human animal’s welfare should be cared for equally. I believe animals have rights to be treated as we treat humans. I hold this view because evolutionarily, non-human animals experience the same pleasure and pain as humans, but we have the intellect and emotional capacity to evolve our society beyond evolution’s limits. Therefore, under speciesism, we are the more ethically important living thing to protect. Our ethical views on how we respect some animals equity and are insensitive to others are created by culture. For instance, in the U.S., we consider cats and dogs as pets and neglect other “farm animals” for our sustenance. In Peru, some households raise guinea pigs and eat them when they are large enough while in the U.S. guinea pigs are common pets. I stopped eating meat for my health and environmental reasons. Through this decision, I have come to make more ethical decisions about how animals are treated. Now, I have a hard time wrapping my head around statements from individuals who say they care for animals but support animal industries through the purchase of meat. Many of us care for extinct species and want to protect them, but do not realize our industrial driven life is aiding in the destruction of these species niches. Ecocentrism is the larger picture to bring into focus. Humans are an integral of the ecosystem with non-human animals. Non-human animals have adapted to work with their ecosystem and gain sustenance at levels that do allow landscapes to renew themselves; that is intelligence in my opinion. We thrive on the same landscapes of the non-humans. As a smarter species, we should realize the similarities between human and non-human animals and respect their well-being as we develop.

Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

It is a challenging assignment to evaluate your own selfishness. I like to believe I am altruistic, but my belief has bias. When I am questioning my virtue ethics, I need to step outside of my shoes and view myself as others see me. Now, when I place my viewpoint from another’s perspective, I think of my family and friends close to me who see my actions. In their view, I am altruistic. I care for and try to help them as needed. I hold myself to the standard that if I am able, I need to help those around me. My value of life is the same as anyone’s life, but I will take care of myself first. I need to be in good condition to help others. I think that it is our natural instinct to be selfish for our needs, and altruistic towards people close to us. Thought deeper analysis of my views I think true altruism happens beyond family and friends. Truely acting selfless is to aid anyone at any time, no matter how you feel or your physical condition. I can be selfish in my daily life but altruistic when the time comes. I may value my life as equal to the beings around me, but I do not extend myself beyond my personal needs as much as I would like too. I used to view volunteering as altruism until it became so popular to find on resumes as a promotion of self. Altruism is in the individuals whose actions do not benefit for themselves, but others benefit.

2 thoughts on “My Perspective on Ethics

1. Hi Laurene, I’m Eunice! I thought your post was interesting because right before reading your entry, I just read some post about the same question (first question) with different answers! With that being said, for the first question about ecosystem, do you really believe you are part of the ecosystem? Aren’t we just caring about the ecosystem because if directly impact us, the humans? For example, a lot of people care and started to care about the global warming because it has been impacting our daily lives. The unpredictable weather caused so many problems and even took away so many lives. Don’t you think that triggered us to think more about the ecosystem?
    Other than that I do agree with your other answers! Even though we do have some different reasons believe why I think you were convincing to help me to think it in different view! Thank You!

This is my blog entry link: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/02/module-3-ethics-6/

• Hi Eunice,

Thank you for you comment.

Yeah, I do believe I am part of the ecosystem because humans are components just as non-humans. Do you view plants and animals in the nature around you as parts of the ecosystem? Similarly to them, we take what we require to live and interact with the land, resources, and weather patterns of the natural environment. Part of having an understanding of human-environmental interaction is that the environment directly impacts us, and we directly impact the environment. Our action has influence on the species and landscapes around us. Therefore, we are integrated into the ecosystem.
      Believe it or not many individuals studied global warming before it was mainstream as an important factor in climate change. I do not think climate change has influenced us to think more about the ecosystem; rather it is now a scare tactic that has forced us to consider our impact on the environment. So global warming has caused non-scholars outside of the fields that study human-environmental interactions to consider their impacts. Now that unpredictable weather is causing more devastation we should see that humans need to adapt to change. I believe technological advancements and infrastructure have helped us evolve, but they have also separated us from our environment that sustains us.