Ethics Module 3

1. It is more important to perform good acts.  I hold this view solely based on my opinion of the significance of an action itself – the ends. For instance, in a scenario with two individuals, where person A is good and genuinely interested in the welfare of homeless veterans, and a person B takes on actions that promotes the welfare of homeless veterans. The results from the action by person B has an impact towards the wellbeing of homeless veterans. This action could lead to resounding effects and a solution for homelessness amongst veterans.  Being good lacks the results from an action /effort taken. As the saying goes ‘Action speaks louder than words’ which is applicable when we are looking at the end result. Nonetheless, virtue ethics is important since individuals who care about a cause and are good people, often take action towards the issue. Particularly, virtue ethics is important if the act will affect a large group in society. Inherently, because of the type of work I do, I’m constantly waiting for results and make decisions based on these actions. Nonetheless, I also evaluate and take into consideration the drive behind the action.
  2. Ecosystems matter for their own sake. I hold this view because ultimately it would be ideal if ecosystems can coexist with humans whereby there is no human impact to their continued existence. Regrettably, this not the case for the world we live in today. Humans are at a disturbing rate destroying ecosystems that predates us. Several these ecosystems under human degradation and exploitation have a key role in contributing to some of the major resources that we get from the earth plus maintain an environmental balance. Studies indicate that the human race is depleting the earth’s resources unsustainably. This is a concern for me because we humans, like other animals need the earth and should utilize the earth’s resources sustainably. Therefore since the ecosystem provides resources that contributes towards our human life today, we should treasure and nourish these systems. Sustainable consumption  of these ecosystems should be priority especially for the future generations to come.
  3.  Pleasure and pain for non-human animals do matter. I hold this view because non-human animals shouldn’t suffer for any human’s benefit. Domesticated animals provide food, shelter, shoes and clothing for us. Also non-human animals have reasoning and feelings which may be limited in comparison to the human animals, and mainly because they cannot express themselves. Therefore how we raise, treat and kill non-human animals is vital component of speciesism ethics. For that reason humane actions should be taken towards all non-human animals killings. And these killings should occur only when there is a necessity. In addition killings and torture of non-human animals for pleasure should be prohibited all together. For most of the non-human animals that we kill research shows that their DNA is evolving to identify humans as predators. The wild animals that we kill for pleasure are going extinct. These consequences have begun changing the world we live in today, unfortunately for the worse. We should all take action and protect the non-human animals

2 thoughts on “Ethics Module 3

1. Hi Maureen! My name is Siying and here’s the link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ethics-siying-chen/
    I choose to first two questions you have too and I agree with you. I think the end is more important than the process because that’s what would affect out life. And I also agree that it would be ideal if ecosystem coexist with human without harming any one, but now it’s hard to achieve this goal. And I think you make a good point in the third question too. Great job!

2. Hi Maureen! My name is Sarah, and here is a link to my blog post:
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/wp-admin/post.php?post=43448&action=edit
    I agree with your answer to the second question that ecosystems matter for their own sake. I said in my post that they matter both for humans and themselves, but they matter for their own sake more. I like how you said “it would be ideal if ecosystems can coexist with humans whereby there is no human impact to their continued existence.” This is a perfect statement to me because I feel like it would solve so many of our problems on earth. If humans could coexist with all other organisms without causing harm to their existence, the world would be such a happier, healthier place. Good inputs! I really enjoyed reading your post.