Ethics Views: Caitlyn Ramirez Module 3

1.Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?

I believe these answers are intertwined. There is no way that you could be a good person without performing good acts, because that is how you would want to be able to show people you are a good person. You also cannot perform good acts without having any kind of virtue. I think they are equally as important because you cannot seem to do one without the other. It also goes the other way around. You cannot be a good person if you don’t perform good acts because no one would actually know if you were a good person or not. Also you cannot do good acts, unless you are a good person unless you are just doing it for the heck of it. Then that would be a whole different discussion.

4.Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans (ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics)?

I think ecosystems should matter for both sakes. However, I don’t agree with humans cutting down trees just to build things that they could build with other materials. However, trees provide oxygen for humans, and in that case we should maintain the ecosystem so we still have enough forests. By maintaining those ecosystems that will benefit humans with oxygen, we are also benefitting the ecosystem itself and for all those who inhabit it. Humans are quite wasteful with natural resources so limiting them to only a little would work better. This would make it beneficial for both humans and the ecosystem.

6.Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

I think my life is worth the same as others. I personally, am a very altruistic person. I enjoy putting people’s needs before my own, because that is what makes me happy. But I also feel that it is quite alright for me to take a step back and take some time for myself and realize that my life is worth something too. That is why I think we are all the same. My life is worth just as much as any other person like myself. There are so many people in this world who put others before themselves, and they need to know that is also understandable to be a little selfish sometimes. There are obviously those people who others despise or don’t feel as if they deserve as much as they do, so I think that additionally to this, it also depends on the type of person you are. If you are a horrible person and everyone knows it, then there would be a difference in worth.

2 thoughts on “Ethics Views: Caitlyn Ramirez Module 3

1. Hi Caitlyn,
    For your response I disagree with your answer regarding the importance of a good person vs performing a good act. There are cases where a person is good and doesn’t take action. Likewise there are instances whereby individuals perform good acts and aren’t good people. Therefore these views could be isolated and not intertwined.

Nonetheless you have made a very bold statements in your post.

Please check out my blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ethics-module-3-2/

2. Hi Caitlyn,

My names Steven, and like your answer to number 6. However, there is one point I can’t agree on and that is the last part ” If you are a horrible person and everyone knows it, then there would be a difference in worth.” I’ve traveled a lot and met many people while traveling, all of which i eventually became friends with. But that is besides the point, my point is that people are all different but life shouldn’t be put on a scale of worth depending on the person’s personality. Of course I’d like to point out the most heinous of people could still be in fact good people, but there are those that can’t. No life should be judged as less valuable, no matter the circumstances. That is my honest opinion, because people can change.

Link to my post:
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bk1