Learning Activity 3 – Jiye Choi

1. Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts?

I think it is more important to be a good person rather than to perform good acts. I personally think that action comes with virtue. Virtue ethics emphasizes what we should be. Anybody can pretend to be a good person by perform good acts, but this is just a formal action, not comes from the heart. The important thing that I believe is if you are a good person, that person will perform a good act automatically. For example, even criminal can act like a good person but this doesn’t mean the criminal is a good person, they can perform bad acts and good acts at the same time. Bad action could be very serious. In this case, ever so criminal did perform good acts this doesn’t have truth. Of course it is also   important that people acts good action, but I think it is more significant to be a good person before act.

5. Do the pleasure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans?

My answer for this question is absolutely yes. I think the pressure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the humans. All creatures have to treat equally. For example, people use rats in the experiment. Many rats are sacrificed by medicine experiments, cosmetic experiments and many clinical demonstrations. This is an example of anthropocentrism. People use non-human animals for their good even if it is painful or crucial for them. It doesn’t mean they can’t feel the pain or feel emotions because they can’t tell or speak. Animals can use reason or feel emotion too. Non-human animal welfare should be equally considered as human welfare. I think speciesism is coming from people regard non-human animals not as valuable as human. Even in non-human animal speciesm, there is speciesism according to what their species. People keep dogs and cats while people hate ants or insects and kill them without any pity. But I think we should think about non-human animals and acknowledge they can feel pain and pleasure too.

6. Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less?

From my perspective, my life is more important than others for the following reasons. To begin with although there are many responsibilities that I have such as supporting my family, working duties and so on, I live for myself. Responsibilities that I have on others are all related to me, but that is not solely for me. I take care about others for sure, however, that doesn’t mean others’ lives are more important than mine. Secondly, no one lives out for my life. During the season of career fair, many students are seeking for their jobs. This is because they need to make money for their lives. Even if we donate money or do volunteer, this doesn’t mean we consider others’ lives more important. This is because I am part of my society and I have social responsibility. For this reasons I think my own life is more important than the lives of others.

One thought on “Learning Activity 3 – Jiye Choi

1. I really like your answer to question number 5. I had a philosophy class last semester and we discussed the ethics of animal testing. We learned some terrible things that they do to those animals, and also learned that in a lot of testing the results don’t even provide good data as the animals anatomies are different from ours. They therefore are doing these terrible test when their results may not even protect us like they are suppose too.