Module 3 – Ethics

1. I personally believe that it is more important to be a person who performs good acts because ultimately, if you are that type of person, then it automatically means that you are somewhat a good person yourself. I am a firm believer of the popular saying “Actions speak louder than words”. A person who fights for human rights, animal rights etc. and actually consecrates their time and energy to these causes will always be more believable and respected then the individual that simply speaks, posts Facebook statuses and tweets about these issues and how wrong they are. It’s absolutely amazing and important to have good intentions but to actually go out of your way to perform actions, to start a movement and gather a bunch of people that share similar views is completely admirable. Humans, groups of individuals are able to change the world and I think if more people believed this, then the negative outcomes that the world presents to us would diminish. I say this because I am a good person, rather than being the person that performs good acts and it’s something that I fundamentally want to change about myself.

1. The answer to the question of whether the ends justify the means ultimately depends on what said ends are and the procedures are being used in order to meet these goals. I am a firm believer of people doing whatever it takes in order to achieve their aspirations and success, however, if the way that they going about doing this is dishonest, immoral and negatively impacts other people, then they probably should not be aiming to achieve said goals. I also believe in karma. Lies and other dishonest behaviors that were used in order to achieve a positive outcome will always eventually come to the light at the most unexpected times and will ultimately negatively impact the individual. There is a strong difference between achieving something through some form of competition with a peer and completely sabotaging your peer in order to move up. I believe actions should be performed in an honest, “fair and square” manner.

1. I do not believe that my life or any other life is more important than the next; every life is worth the same and worth saving. We are all important, unique and special individuals in our own way and whether we believe it or not, we were all created the same and for a purpose. Every single one of us has the abilities to contribute to the world in some way, whether it is by saving a life, giving life, fighting for social rights, making somebody’s day more enjoyable etc. and that should not be taken for granted. This is my view on the subject matter with an ethical point of view. On the other hand, when I approach this question in a personal matter, there are lives that will always be more important and worth more than others to me. For example, I believe my mother’s life is worth more than the girl’s who sits next to me in math class. I would risk my own life for my mother’s sake any day but I couldn’t say the same for said girl in my math class. The world has also shown to us that every human life is not worth the same and that some should be valued more than others with atrocious historical events such as slavery, the holocaust, genocides etc.

4 thoughts on “Module 3 – Ethics

1. I agree with the questions you raised about the ends and the means. I believe the way you go about achieving goals is more important than the goals themselves. One reason is that the means signal convictions and standards. One could take comfort in the way they go about striving to achieve their goals even in cases when they fall short. Conversely, if one achieves a goal through nefarious means, they aren’t even sure the process is repeatable. What they are sure of is that they are willing to bend rules or sacrifice others in pursuit of their goal which, to me, would cheapen any accomplishment.

2. Hi Michele,
    I’m Peter and I am studying mechanical engineering at Penn State. Though I respect that you believe that good actions are more important than being a good person, I think that being a good person encompasses performing truly good actions and that good people will do good things that aren’t just posting on twitter or some form of social media. Secondly, I agree with your second question and am glad to see you agree and see this the same way I do, things should be done in a fair and square manner like you said. Finally, I think that all humans have the same value and see that you have the same agreement and see where you’re coming from when you put your own mother ahead of somebody else. Good post.

Here is a link to my blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/peter-han-module-3/

– Peter Han

3. Hi my name is Aaliyah here is the link to my blog https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bk3.
    I agree that all lives should be equal.equal. Initially, i shared very similar views to what you believe. However, as I thought about the question more I realized in reality all lived are not equal. In society some people are viewed as more important than others.