Module 3-Ethics

1. I personally believe that it is much better to be a good person rather than to perform good deeds. I believe this because being a good person is completely and utterly different then performing good deeds throughout your life. You can perform good deeds throughout your whole life and still be a terrible person. For example there is Pablo Escobar. Being one of the worlds biggest drug dealers he is not a good person at heart. He violated many laws and personal ethics while also performing good deeds. While he was performing these outrageous acts he was also known publically for building homes and schools for the poor while also running for governor. Although these public acts made him look good and gave him great publicity he was an awful human being at heart. In conclusion Pablo Escobar shows the ultimate difference between performing good deeds and being a good person. This shows that being a good person can include both sides while performing good deeds can not always include both.

5. In my eyes I value the pleasure and pain of non-human animals to be equal and just as valuable to those of humans. I believe this due to my religious believes and the fact that all being beings were created equal. I feel as if all deserve the same respect and rights. Although I believe and feel this way I can also see the other side of this debate. Although it may be believed that for humans to survive and remain at its dominant state on the food chain, they must not value other beings nearly at the same level of there own kind or species, I believe this to be incorrect. Although I believe that non human species should be valued as equal I believe that this only corresponds to BREATHING species. I think that if we counted other non-breathing species as equal then we would be in a completely different world and it would be almost impossible for the human race to survive and thrive.

6. I personally believe that my life is just as important as anyone else’s. But, not to seem arrogant or egocentric but I believe that I have worked hard to come to the point where I now am in my life just as all of us Penn State students have. Although I believe that I am just as important as others I believe that it is our duties as citizens and members of this world to protect and watch the back of others. We live in a survival of the fittest type world and if it becomes a race to the finish over who may get a job or a new position or anything similar to this than I would have to say that I would value my own life over others. But with this being said I would never put another persons live in jeopardy just to make mine better.

2 thoughts on “Module 3-Ethics

1. Hi Benjamin! My name is Lisa! I completely agree with what you had to say about number five. I had a hard time vocalizing what I was thinking so I did not write about it, but I think you did a great job explaining your reasoning. I personally think that animal lives mean just as much as human lives, but animals do not have the ability to vocalize what they are thinking to us. I think that overall you did a great job explaining why you felt a certain way. Here’s a like to my blog post! I would love for you to check it out: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/module-3-6/

2. Benjamin,
    I answered the same question as you regarding what was more important, being a good person or performing good deeds. At first, I couldn’t quite decide what stance I truly believed, but after giving it some thought, I came up with the same answer as you. I also believe it is more important to be a good person. I made the same connection that you did by saying that a terrible person can do good things, but it doesn’t make them any better of a person deep down. I really liked the example you used with Pablo Escobar, it made it very clear what you were trying to get across.
    -Sophie
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/ethics-sophia-greene/